• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remote start problem on '89 XJ

haukurmg

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Jeep enthusiasts!

I´ve been installing the "Ultra Start G11-XR Keyless Entry & Remote Auto Starter System" today on my 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo (automatic)

Im using this chart:
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...ail/1150.htmlo
and so far i´ve got the remote start to work just fine.
HVAC and stereo comes on with it.

However I cant for the life of me get the door lock/unlock system to work.

The system has a negative output for door lock/unlock, so I connected a relay to reverse polarities, connected the + output to my Jeeps relay (light green and tan wires going to relay) but nothing happens.

So I measured those - outputs from my remote start and the appear to show a 7v constant and when I hit the lock (or unlock) button it briefly shows nothing, 0.

Is it possible my Ultra Start system is out of order??
Am I doing something wrong?

I sincerely hope someone out there will know anything :dunno:

Does the relay click? You should have the other side of the coil on the relays connected to +12V if you don't already.

If the relay you added does not click, the problem is with that relay or the remote system. If the relay you added clicks but the one in the Jeep does not, it is something to do with the connections you have between the added relay and the one built into the Jeep.

Also, it looks like you just connect the LOCK line directly to the Jeep since the table on 12volt shows reverse polarity for that, but you will need the inverting relay setup you have to connect to the UNLOCK line.

I'm assuming he means connect one side of the coil to +12, the other side to the remote starter. Then connect one side of the SPST contact set to +12 and the other side to the circuit to be driven... that way, when the remote starter grounds its output, the relay feeds 12V to the circuit being driven. Same idea as an inverter in digital logic.

Most remote starters and alarms I've seen have DIP switches to set the polarity of each output or sense input, I guess this one doesn't :(

Does the relay click? You should have the other side of the coil on the relays connected to +12V if you don't already.

If the relay you added does not click, the problem is with that relay or the remote system. If the relay you added clicks but the one in the Jeep does not, it is something to do with the connections you have between the added relay and the one built into the Jeep.

Also, it looks like you just connect the LOCK line directly to the Jeep since the table on 12volt shows reverse polarity for that, but you will need the inverting relay setup you have to connect to the UNLOCK line.

OK so the relay does click and I do have it contected to +12V. I measured the output from this added relay and I have nothing.

As for the chart, the way I understood it is if you don't have keyless you use the "white and dark green Driver's Kick Panel Reverse Polarity" but as my car used to have keyless entry, it has Light green for lock and tan for unlock in the passenger's kick panel.

FIY: I did the "greg smith power door lock fix" so I assumed my new relays were to be connected to the trigger on the relays added for the GS fix.

Just to be sure I'm going to take a look at my drivers kick panel and see if there are any white/dark green wires that might be the locks.

Thanks alot for the help, I hope this info can give you a better picture.

Back