• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare in cargo area

Skibum12189

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have a 31" spare mounted inside the trunk area. I have a 00' xj limited and it just doesn't want to fit. Does anyone have pictures of their 31" mounted in the trunk? I didn't think this was modified tech, but it's more than OEM i think. I need a place to put it bc I can't afford a tailbone right now and there is just too much wind resistance on the roof. I want to mount it where the OEM spare was, but I just can't find a way to do it SAFELY.

I wasn't able to fit a 30" in the stock location but it fit perfectly lying flat in the trunk. Just push it to the side with the deeper part of the rim facing up so you can put stuff in the tire still.

You might just have to chop some of the plastic to make a notch for the tire to sit in the stock location (shouldn't have to cut more than a couple inches).

yea i was running into the issue of smashing the factory sound bar. hmmm....the tailbone is just soooo appealing haha!! 400 dollars will seem so do-able once i get my refund check, but i know once i need to buy books ill be kicking myself!!

Let the air out,it will fit.

that is what i was thinking. i figure that's my only option. Ideally, I would never get a flat, but if (or when) i do, i think it'd be worth it to have to pump it up. I know it would be a hassle and take forever, but for the money I would save on a tailbone or the gas for keeping it up top, i think it'd be worth it.

haha just for fun, any idea how long it would take to pump up a 31x10.5 tire on a 15" rim with a bicycle tire pump?

I'd drop 120 bucks on a small-ish but good quality 12VDC compressor instead. My VIAIR 100C can take a tire from 0 to full in a few minutes quite easily.

about 5 mins short of FOREVER... thats alot of tire to air up, you could save a little time and buy one of those cig-lighter air pumps but even those take a long time, it would save your back from the bike pump though

I've had a 31 mounted vertical in the stock location, and laying down flat in the floor.

If you take out the little metal bracket on the LH floor, you can do some creative positioning and get a 31 w/ a steel factory jeep wheel and use the factory hold down.

You can lay a 31 in the back and use a ratchet strap. Also you could use a J-hook and use them to attach through a hi-lift to the factory tie downs in the floor.

about 5 mins short of FOREVER... thats alot of tire to air up, you could save a little time and buy one of those cig-lighter air pumps but even those take a long time, it would save your back from the bike pump though

x2. They're worth the $30 or so. If you get a flat just start filling the tire before jacking and removing the flat, it won't be too bad.

Last edited:
I wasn't able to fit a 30" in the stock location
what brand of tire was that? I've got a 30" in mine under the sound bar('00). Here's a pic:
IMG_0531.jpg

Closeups here: http://s544.photobucket.com/albums/hh338/tbburg/?start=20
There's probably room top to bottom for a 31 if you took out the bracket the tire sits on, but front to back it would rub the hatch.(the 30"already rubs the seat)

I'll have to get a pic, but I have my 33" mounted in the back now. I made a plate and welded the seat back mounts farther forward. I made a bracket off of the stock hold hown. I need to triangulate it to beef it up a bit, but it seems to be working OK. It just clears the sound bar.

I have a 31x10.50 in the stock location in my '99 without moving the seatback forward.
I removed the metal bracket the OE spare sits on. I have the spare sitting on a small block of 2x6 wood just to lift it up a bit and get the "widest" part of the tire above the seat back.
Turn the wheel so the outside is towards the window. I went to Home Depot and bought a 6" J-hook which I use to secure the tire. Even though the threads are not the same (I think the factory wing nut is metric), I was able to reuse the plastic centering puck and wingnut.
The tire is not touching the speaker, but it is a tight fit between the seat and the back near the hatch. If I put the seat down, I end up having to remove the tire and reposition it after putting the seat back up. No pics at the moment, but I can snap a couple tomorrow if anyone wants to see.

My 33 fits just fine in the back of mine. I moved the stock mount forward. Oh wait I do not count I have no rear seats, but I do have the speaker bar up there...:wierd::wierd:

HPIM1538.jpg

Back