• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to put up a power window without power?

XJskibum

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, here's the deal:

I've got a 96 with no power options. I had a little run in with a sign during a snow storm and it sheared my mirror and my drivers door handle clean off. :smsoap:

Anyhoo, a friend let me take his door from his beater Jeep so I could steal the handle, but the window was down and now I realized it won't slide up. It's need to be up to get one the the nuts holding the handle on.

Anyone have a solution to this? I'm going to go back out and keep looking at it to try and find some ideas. I was thinking maybe finding the motor and running some wire to "hot wire" it to go up or down. :dunno:

Thanks for any help

I think your best option is to hot wire it, if you can find the correct terminal on the connector, but once the panel is off you should be able to dismount the window from the mechanism and pull it up by hand, as you would if you were replacing the window glass. Your problem will then be either to hold it up while you work, or to remove it entirely. It's not that hard to get out, as I recall, if you take the trim strips off the door.

Of course if the door is off, you could just lay it down, but if it's upright, you'll need to keep the glass up.

Before you attack that handle, be aware that the studs on the handle tend to rust, and are very very easy to shear off. Douse them with lots of penetrant, and don't just torque the nuts off. Be patient. If you do shear one, you can grind it flush, drill it carefully, and tap it for 1/4 x 20. You can then use a short hex bolt, and it will work fine. But you must also be careful when drilling not to heat it up too much, or the insert will melt out of the handle and start spinning, and then you are out of luck.

Yep, hot wire it.

I figured it out.

I un-screwed the nut holding the windshield to the lifter arm. I had to use a stubby wrench to get in there but it worked better than screwing around with a hot wire.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Back