• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JUmped Coil

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
so I have to hot wire my coil to get the engine to turn over, currently I have it wired to an alligator clip I just attatch/remove from the pos batt terminal. my question is, can I simply throw an inline switch and wire into my cab until i find the real problem or is it not that simple, I'm sick of opening the hood and if I leave it connected the batt goes kaput

TIA

Doug

Seems like you CAN do that if it works now in the manner you describe. Does it really not turn over with the starter, or does it just not fire with the starter actually turning? It also helps a lot to know the year.

96 4.0, it turns over, narrowed it down to the coil not getting power to it, haven't had time or knowledge to get past that, just need to know if all I need to do is throw a switch into the cab for it to work from there

Well, like I said, if it works jumping it, you can run the wire with a switch like you are talking about.

It should be easy to trace what's really wrong though and fix it. A wiring diagram for your year would really help.

Sounds like the ASD relay but I'd have to look at a wiring diagram to make sure I'm right about that... maybe Joe Peters or old_man would know, though I think they mostly do RENIX stuff.

relays are all fine, next time I drive through the WU I'll bring it by your place

OK - I don't have an FSM for 96 yet (go figure, it's the year I own and I don't have one!) but I can try making use of my crappy Haynes and the DMM.

BTW - where we met up last time was a friend's place, I'm over on Lee Street.

Back