• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 into 96 swap?

85blaxj

NAXJA Forum User
my buddy is wanting me to swap his wrecked 89 motor tranny xcase into a 96 that he bought thats got a bad headgasket and has been sitting a while but im wondering if this will work or would it be better to just go through and fix the 96's motor? im getting the wrecked one for parts as i need a steering column and front axle and if i can put the 89 motor in the 96 id get the 96 motor/trans/xcase and swap it into my already stripped of its 2.8L 85
what do you think?

Just swap the 89 long block into the 96, use the sensors and flexplate/flywheel of the 96 and you are all set.

so i shouldnt put the tranny/xcase from the 89 to the 96? what about the cooling would it be best to keep it closed like on the 89 or just use the 96's cooling system?

^^^^
If you only use the long block from the '89, you won't need or want all the sensors from the Renix system. All of the sensors you need will be taken off of the discarded '96. Same with the cooling system components. Double check the rotation direction of the water pumps on both engines - there may have been a change in between those years. Swapping the transfer case/tranny just complicates the job.

That said, I'm not sure the intake manifold from the '96 will work all that well with the older head. Seems like I remember the port shape changed. Do some more searching on here for info on swapping a high-output head onto an older engine - I know it has been discussed.

Personally, I would try to fix the '96 engine. If all it needs is a head gasket, it wouldn't be that hard of a job.

Edit: Whoops - I got crossed up in all of your different years. You may have a problem with the Renix system since the '96 block may or may not have a hole for the knock sensor. Since the '85 is a 2.8, you will need the tranny/transfer case from the engine you swap in. I'm not familiar with the 2.8 cooling system, but you will be ahead of the game if you can move to an open system. On a rig that old you probably need a new radiator anyway and the rest of the parts can be obtained from the boneyard for next to nothing.

Last edited:
^^^^
If you only use the long block from the '89, you won't need or want all the sensors from the Renix system. All of the sensors you need will be taken off of the discarded '96. Same with the cooling system components. Double check the rotation direction of the water pumps on both engines - there may have been a change in between those years. Swapping the transfer case/tranny just complicates the job.

That said, I'm not sure the intake manifold from the '96 will work all that well with the older head. Seems like I remember the port shape changed. Do some more searching on here for info on swapping a high-output head onto an older engine - I know it has been discussed.

Personally, I would try to fix the '96 engine. If all it needs is a head gasket, it wouldn't be that hard of a job.

Edit: Whoops - I got crossed up in all of your different years. You may have a problem with the Renix system since the '96 block may or may not have a hole for the knock sensor. Since the '85 is a 2.8, you will need the tranny/transfer case from the engine you swap in. I'm not familiar with the 2.8 cooling system, but you will be ahead of the game if you can move to an open system. On a rig that old you probably need a new radiator anyway and the rest of the parts can be obtained from the boneyard for next to nothing.

If he is using the 89 in the 96, there is no need for the knock sensor.

yes i want to use the 89 motor in the 96 with the open system it has and my 85 i want to use the 96 motor after i do a headgasket with the renix system but open cooling and and renix wiring if that clears it up im hoping the 2.8 radiator will work with the 4.0 but if not ill just grab a new one or jy

yes i want to use the 89 motor in the 96 with the open system it has and my 85 i want to use the 96 motor after i do a headgasket with the renix system but open cooling and and renix wiring if that clears it up im hoping the 2.8 radiator will work with the 4.0 but if not ill just grab a new one or jy

You should be Ok, as I don't think the 85 had a knock sensor. If it does, then just plug the harness onto the knock sensor and then tie it up out of the way somewhere.

Seems like musical chairs except with motors. If it's just a head gasket, fix it. Of course if the crankcase has been sitting full of antifreeze, you might have other issues like rusted up bearings.

You do realize that a 4.0 won't fit into the 85 engine bay without some additional work right? There are other engines that would be easier to swap in.

Seems like musical chairs except with motors. If it's just a head gasket, fix it. Of course if the crankcase has been sitting full of antifreeze, you might have other issues like rusted up bearings.

You do realize that a 4.0 won't fit into the 85 engine bay without some additional work right? There are other engines that would be easier to swap in.

That is correct, a 4.0 WILL NOT FIT in an '85 without what I'd call major modifications. The firewall in the '87 was notched a great deal for the engine to fit the 4.0 a, and they also changed the radiator support, and went from a single hood latch in the center to two on the outside (pre '87 has a hood latch in the center of the radiator support. I believe they actually moved the radiator and condenser forward, then had to move the hood latch to the outside because it would hit the top of the radiator/condenser with the old style support.

If he is using the 89 in the 96, there is no need for the knock sensor.

You should be Ok, as I don't think the 85 had a knock sensor. If it does, then just plug the harness onto the knock sensor and then tie it up out of the way somewhere.

If I'm understanding correctly, the '96 engine will end up in the '85, using the Renix system from the '89. With the Renix system, he will need the knock sensor - which may not have a place for installation in the '96 block. Confusing, but I think I have it sorted out. Hanging the sensor somewhere out of the way might be an option - the only time it makes a difference is when it "hears" the engine pre-ignition and adjusts the things to compensate.

Fitting the I6 into the '85 will be a major undertaking. If it were up to me, I'd be looking for a GM 3.8 with a TBI. The swap would be pretty easy with a rear-wheel-drive model and its a good solid engine. A 4.3 would be another good option as would the venerable Ford 5.0. I like the TBI 'cause the electronics are easier to sort out (for me anyway).

Back