• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep will not start!!

schiempflug

NAXJA Forum User
I was going to a friends when the engine just cut off. It will not start, I am not getting spark at the plugs or from the coil. All of these checked out on resistance tests. I am hoping it is just the pick-up in the distributor, but is there any way it could be anything else? I have a 92 limited that has an alarm system, could this be a possible cause? I had to call off work today just to try and get it home, hoping I can fix the problem by tomorrow.

Thank you for your time

Scheimpflug

1. Forget the distributor. Inside the distributor is the synch sensor that provides input to the ECU/PCM for firing the injectors--nothing else.

2. No spark, check for 12 volt input to the coil. If there is no 12 volt input, then the ASD relay and its associated harness is suspect.

3. If the CPS/CKP crank sensor is bad you will have no spark, as it tells the ECU/PCM when the engine is at the correct timing position to fire the spark.

Try unplugging and replugging the CPS/CKP. Try swapping the relays in the PDC around--mark them first so you can know where they started from.

Well the coil was bad so I replaced it, got spark to the distributor. Checked the plugs, no spark from there, rotor blew up inside distributor, replaced it. Still will not start. Crank sensor checked out and swaping relays didn't do anything. I bypassed the alarm and that didn't change anything either.

Ok, bad coil AND rotor blew up. Replaced coil and rotor (how was the cap?). Spark from coil to distributor--CPS/CKP is good.

Do you now have spark to the plugs?? If so, could be flooded from trying to start it. Hold the accelerator pedal to the floor and keep it there. Start cranking the engine. This will cut off fuel and allow system to clear itself.

I did notice that the Tach did not register any RPMs while trying to turn the engine over, can't recall if it does or not normally.

OK see I completely forgot about holding the pedal down to clear it. Its running now, thank you very much Joe.

Back