• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

death wobble

2000xj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 2000 cherokee 4x4 and i just bought some 31" bfg a/t's but i dont have the money for the re lift i want so i just put 1 3/4" coil spacer in the front and an add a leaf in the rear just for about a month or so.
anyways i put the lift on two days ago and everything seemed fine until today when i drive from galveston, tx to baton rouge, la. i got death wobble at least ten times today and had to pull off the road everytime. i ended up making it all the way at about 55mph it took forever and i had white knuckles the whole way here.
i only have like 2 inches of lift. anyone know how to prevent it.
i think im going to take the lift off tommarow and put 30x9.50s on it

anyone ever heard of death wobble with only 2 inches lift??

Did you get it aligned after the lift? Yes - it's quite possible to get DW with a mild lift like that.

Did you get an alignment after the lift? And yes it's actually quite common for newer (97+) XJ's to get vibes with smaller lifts.

Edit: Ahh, Yucca-Man beat me to it

no but i can get one tomorrow do you think that would eliminate it?
i dont want to have to worry about it anymore, its pretty dangerous.
it never happend before i lifted it and it is just so sensitive right know its scary to drive(on the interstate)

no experience with death wobble on my xj, but on the zj i had it pretty bad whenever I hit a bump at highway speeds, and all i had to do was tighten up the trac bar.

i really want to keep the lift on but im driving back to galveston on sunday and i make the drive every other weekend and i dont want to have another trip like the one i had today.

before the lift i used to cruise at 83 all day with no problems but it looks so good lifted its a tough decision

What is Death Wobble? im new to this site....my 92 wobbles a little , but only after driving more than 15 miles at speeds around 50 mph....i drive locally all the time , no probs, but on some longer drives, it shakes pretty bad....i chalked it up to the mud tires i have.....maybe hard to balance? anyways.i can live with it, the traction in the mud more than makes up for it.

Also, i ordered the RE 2" kit with the AAL....is this a good kit for the first lift?

i love my jeep and i had a lot of plans like a 3.5 inch re lift and arb's but now i dont know if i want to lift it because i need it to be safe on the interstate

Black92XJ-PA said:
What is Death Wobble? im new to this site....my 92 wobbles a little , but only after driving more than 15 miles at speeds around 50 mph....i drive locally all the time , no probs, but on some longer drives, it shakes pretty bad....i chalked it up to the mud tires i have.....maybe hard to balance? anyways.i can live with it, the traction in the mud more than makes up for it.

Also, i ordered the RE 2" kit with the AAL....is this a good kit for the first lift?

use the Search. Its covered lots of times.

Once you get the alignment and it still wobbles, then your steering is worn out or you have loose trackbar bushings and/or control arms

you will know when you ahve DW the front end shakes really badly and it feels like your front axle is gonna fall off and you have to slow down to a low speed to make it stop.

How do you start a thread on this site? I cant figure it out....i ordered the RE 2 " kit with the AAL..putting it on in like 2 weeks...but ive read so many diff opinions about it, that im starting to worry.........

yeah, deff a front end alignment and tires balanced, my 99 did the smae thing with 4 inches and 32's

Black92XJ-PA said:
How do you start a thread on this site? I cant figure it out....i ordered the RE 2 " kit with the AAL..putting it on in like 2 weeks...but ive read so many diff opinions about it, that im starting to worry.........

Right at the top left corner in each section it says "New thread".

I'll be putting mine in for alignment most likely on Friday for the same thing. i put a 2 incher on and it shook the dust and rust off the undercarriage....at least my 5 year old got a laugh out of it

Black92XJ-PA said:

no need to worry, i just put my RE6160 on last week and it shakes the crap out of me at 55 MPH........good luck

Back