• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tire pressure for ice

srimes

NAXJA Forum User
We're about to get a good ice and snow storm here. What tire pressure do y'all run for icy roads? I just dropped mine to 24 psi from my regular 30 in my 235 BFG A/Ts.

with BFG ATs you should be fine even at 30psi.......depends on driving style and terrain, but my dads 2001 has those same tires on it, 235s....and we run 35 psi year round, no probs.......and we live in PA, so ice and snow are the norm in winter.......lower pressure would be even better tho, but will hurt mileage some.....

for icy roads the higher pressures are better.

I run my Duratracs at 35-38 when the roads are icy

There is a smaller contact patch on the ground, which means higher psi, high psi is better for ice.

If it is 2 feet of powder it is better to run a lower psi so you drive on top of the powder

for icy roads the higher pressures are better. There is a smaller contact patch on the ground, which means higher psi, high psi is better for ice. If it is 2 feet of powder it is better to run a lower psi so you drive on top of the powder

Umm, no.

Maintain the same tire pressure, no matter what the weather. If the available traction is reduce by snow or ice, drive more slowly. Also accelerate, slow down/stop, and turn gradually and smoothly. Sudden or abrupt changes in the vehicles speed or direction will break traction and may send you skidding or spinning.

If you are driving off road in snow, reduce your tire pressure just as you would normally on a 4x4 trail.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention.......i was alwasy told growing up to " drive like there is an egg under both pedal"...meaning, light use of both pedals, to start and stop......i still use this method to this day in my head while winter driving......no wrecks in my 34 yrs, lol......so far, so good!

I wouldn't change my tire pressure for ice, but if I was going to, I would decrease it. Slightly bigger contact patch that way. But if you really hit ice, I doubt that tire pressure matters.

If you hit real ice, the only thing that's going to help you is driving carefully (I like RustyRocker's phrase there), or a sand dispenser in front of each tire like on freight locomotives, or studded tires.

Drive carefully.

Back