• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How does my gear pattern look, opinions please.

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
Here is what I came up with on my rear 44, backlash is .007 and the range is .005-.010 . I have never done this before so tell me if it looks okay or not.

downsized_0128000119.jpg

DRIVE SIDE OF GEAR

downsized_0128000056.jpg

COAST SIDE OF GEAR.

These are the only pictures I could get tonight with my camera phone, if you need better pictures I will use my real camera in the morning. Guess it already is the morning!

Last edited:
First a disclaimer...

I have zero experience installing gears.

With that said, looks pretty decent, drive side of gear is a little close to the toe (pinion deeper than it should be) and the coast side is a little close to the heel (pinion not as deep as it should be.) Not sure what that means... but the pattern looks slightly too close to the top, should be more toward the root, so maybe you need to add more shims to the carrier on the side with the ring gear bolts and take some off of the side facing the ring gear teeth?

EDIT:

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cat...ing_and_pinion_installation_instructions.html

From this page, it looks like you need to decrease the pinion depth / use thinner pinion shims. Guess I was wrong after all...

Last edited:
It looks to me like I need to decrease pinion depth a little more like kastein said so that is what I will try tonight. Any other opinions?

Bigger pics would help. :)

Looking at your coast side --- you need a little more shimming of the pinion . I would say another .003 or so in shim should get you were you want to be. However, when I look at the drive side ....the pattern looks good (depth wise). But I'm judging against a semi small picture.

Kastein .. he needs to *add* pinion shims, not decrease them. You also have root/crown confused with toe/heel. Root/Crown refer to how deeply the gears mesh. Heel/Toe refer to the outside or inside of the ring gear circumference.

FWIW .... I like so see my gears favoring the "toe" (or inside). That way ... as the gears wear, the pattern will continue to spread across the face of the gear (rather than run off the tooth itself).

Be warned .... when you add the extra shims (for more depth), your backlash will decrease. So you will have to set the backlash again. As you mesh deeper, the pattern will move closer to the toe side automatically.

I still suggest bigger/clearer pictures .... as your drive side does look good from what I can make out.

Joe

Last edited:
BTW ... are you applying pressure to the case/ring gear as you are turning it (to check the pattern)? The concept is to preload the gears as if there was "real" torque being applied to them.

Those are not great pix but it looks like your pinion is too deep. Take about .002" out from the pinion and see where that gets you. The idea is to get the wear pattern on the drive side of the teeth (the coast side is unimportant unless there is something really wierd going on) evenly spaced between the top of the tooth and the bottom of the groove. A perfect pattern will have a tiny sliver of compound along the top of the gear tooth after your mesh check. If you can PM me some better pix (closer up) I can advise you better.

JeeperJohn .... looking at the coast side (again ... not good pics, we can all agree on that) ....

The bottom of the pattern is very rounded. That signifies that the pinion is shallow.

http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/H...tions/Yukon_Installation_Kit_Instructions.pdf

Yes ... it's a big file.

Go to page 16 ... and match the pattern with the ones supplied by the original poster. (again .. this is assuming we follow the coast side). The drive side looks good from that basic picture.

Coast side is important too ... that controls your noise levels.

Joe

Well I ran quite a few more patterns and here is what I came up with. Backlash is at .0065.

IMG_2403.jpg

Drive side of gear, this looks good to me as far as I can tell.

IMG_2405.jpg

Coast side of gear, don't know if this is okay or not but our gear guy told me not to worry about the coast side of the gear. Just get the drive side centered from the root to the face of the gear.

Just get the drive side centered from the root to the face of the gear.
==========================================================
X2
As long as the old setup was running fine and all you did was regear. Then set the deeph and let it go.
If the old gear were grinding or vibs then you would want to get picky. IMO

In my opinion .... that is a strange contact patch on the coast side --- considering the drive side looks good. Doesn't make it bad or wrong. Just strange.

As long as you are sure you have enough side carrier preload .... I would just button it up and call it good.

Don't forget to properly break the gears in and change the fluid.

Have fun !

Joe

Drive side is perfect. Make sure you put a strong magnet (like the ones found in most hard drives) on the inside of the cover to collect wear material from gear break in. Good job!

Back