• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wrecked cherokee?

JeremyKS

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking to buy a cherokee that has been wrecked. It has front end damage and the guy says that it will need a new front clip. Looks like it got pretty much everything from the doors forward. Its still driveable the way it is. Its a 2000 with a brand new 4.5 inch lift and tires on rock crawler rims. Im pretty new to these cherokees but its a real nice jeep besides the wrecked front end. Any ideas on how much this would cost to fix? is it worth the hassle?

Well, looking at buying everything new, fenders 110 each, hood $200, and grill lights and all of that good stuff prolly another 100. If bought form a junkyard, you could probably get everything for a couple hundred. You might also want to check the radiator and fans for any damage also. How much is he askin for it? Just curious.
Scott

I would also make sure there's no damage to the frame. Or w/e it's called...I'm sure someone will nag on me since it's a unibody...I don't know what it's called. Is it a chassis? Is it a frame? Is it a bird? Is it a plane? I dunno. Just make sure it's straight.

Uni-rail is what I heard it called.

But ya, I saw a 99 XJ before I bought mine that had a little fender damage. Didn’t buy it because of the damage, but if I knew then how much I was going to beat on my rig I would have gotten it.

I'd be very careful regarding a damaged frame in the front. The bumper on a stock XJ bolts directly to the end of the frame rails. It doesn't take much of a hit to the front to deform the front "horns".

thats what I was afraid of.... The front piece that connects the 2 frame rails together is bent up real bad... what does that mean? not sure on the price he says make an offer, he was orginally asking $7500 for it before the wreck. He says that he got a professional estimate and it was $3200. Not sure what its worth now. any ideas?

From the sounds of it, the guy had it totalled by his insurance company, bought it back for cheap and is looking to turn it for profit.

It doesn't take much to tweak the front part of the unibody to where it's "wrecked" and it's not worth the expense to have a frame shop put it on a jig and pull it straight - that's where the expense would hit you hardest. If you have the funds, you might consider finding another '97 or newer XJ that has issues that could be fixed using the '00 as a parts donor. Many times, if the engine goes on an XJ, they go for cheap. Hell, find a high mileage XJ with door damage, hatch damage, or a trashed interior and you're set. Swap over the lift and you're good to go. Plus, you can make some money back by selling parts you didn't use, and then a bit more when you take the carcass to the scrapper for steel weight.

$3200 is still a bit high when you consider the money you'll need to spend to get another rig using my idea..... Offer $2500.

But that's if you have the skills and knowledge to do all that and a trailer to haul what's left away....... :dunno:

I wouldn't worry too much about the ends of the frame rail if you are going to get a new front bumper for wheel'n. there are a number of suppliers that have reenforcement backets, which you should do anyway. If it isn't bent up too bad just tuse the brackets to get it back in line.
Of course if they are crushed/mangled, forget it.

where in kansas are you, i know there are several here from kansas, and maybe one of us would be willing to look at it with you.

My personal thoughts are go with one that is not beat up for less money, i bought my 97 with a 3 inch rustys lift, rustys flares, a roof rack, boughten front bumper and 31s for under 2500.

I am in KC, Topeka, and Emporia almost everyday or weekend. I am also going to wichita next weekend. So I would be willing to help look at it if you are close to any of those. If those don't work, take pictures, lots of pictures. also how many miles?

Take it to a body shop and get an estimate of the repair costs. It wouldn't take much damage to drive repair costs(professional repair) above $3000; that's why insurance company's "salvage" older vehicles with relatively "minor" damage. The damage you describe sounds extensive, and therefore very expensive. A good body shop could give you much better idea of repair-ability. Also, be concerned about damage to the transfer case; front end collisions have been known to drive the drive shaft rearward into the transfer case, cracking the case. Talk to your insurance agent regarding the feasibility of repairing such damage yourself. Would he insure such a vehicle? In Calif, a vehicle that's been declared salvage must have "salvage" written on the title. This significantly reduces retail value.
If it's drivable, check for "tracking". Have someone follow you and observe if the Jeep drives straight down the highway, or "crabs". Does it pull to one side? If there aren't any obvious alignment issues, it indicates the frame may be OK, accept where the bumper mounts. It's hard to straighten this area out, because the ends are partially covered by the front cross-member. I'd be very sceptical about taking on this kind of project, unless I needed the component parts and could buy the whole thing for $1000, or less.

The uni-body frame rails where the bumper mounts bolt on is the main thing. My daughter wrecked my 97 XJ in her first year in college.

I pulled the front bumper and replaced it. The RH bracket was shot and was replaced. The RH frame rail was bent up and I had a body shop straighten it ($200 in SoCal in 2001).

The right front fender was "creased" and I had the "dent wizard" do the best he can for $125. Also a new fog light and realigned head lights. No paint damage and the front clip and grille was good.

Total cost about $550 without the dent wizard.

BTTT...in your case you might be able to "bang" out the sheet metal and see if the radiator or any cooling lines are damaged. Myself and my brother have been able to repair many a "totaled" vehicles.

I'm pretty much with YELLAHEEP..

I would not pay more than $1,000 for it. You are probably going to spend a lot of money and a lot more time in getting that thing back into shape. And, it still may not drive the same.

My brother hit someone in his 01 XJ and it NEVER drove the same. The frame rails didn't get damaged. So, be careful.

You may be better off buying a 97+. You can probably get on for less than the money you would put into the wrecked 00..

Elias

Thanks for the help guys...he put a new radiator in after the wreck. For you local guys he said he had kc customs install the lift for him. I will try to get some pics. o ya forgot to add that he said he has a short that is draining his battery to so that just adds to the list.

Sounds like you need to include the risk/costs of damaged wiring.

Back