• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AUTOZONE FRONT WHEEL / UNIT BEARINGS ?

xj-cj

NAXJA Forum User
HAS ANYBODY USED THESE ? AUTOZONE LISTS THEM ( THE GOOD ONES NOT THE VALUE LINE ) AS TIMKEN BEARINGS.DONT WANT SOME CHINA CHEAPEES THAT ONLY LAST 6 MONTHS. THEY SEEM ABOUT 20 BUCKS CHEAPER THAN NAPA OR CARQUEST. ARE THEY WORTH IT? ITS A 90 XJ.

I have a 90 as well. Carefully check the height of them on the counter compared to your old ones. There was a change at some point. I got home, got it all buttoned up, and the brake disc is in a bind, wheel wont turn. Check them close. Timken fine by me, although I didnt know they are outsourcing now.

IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE THEM, I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU'D BELIEVE US, BUT MINE CAME IN A TIMKEN BOX, AND APPEAR TO BE TIMKEN HUBS- JUST LIKE THEY TOLD ME WHEN I ASKED. TWO YEARS AND THE WHEEL HASN'T FALLEN OFF YET.

IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE THEM, I DON'T KNOW WHY YOU'D BELIEVE US, BUT MINE CAME IN A TIMKEN BOX, AND APPEAR TO BE TIMKEN HUBS- JUST LIKE THEY TOLD ME WHEN I ASKED. TWO YEARS AND THE WHEEL HASN'T FALLEN OFF YET.
Caps.. really are not needed MMM KAY?

Timken makes great bearings, but if you want the best, F.A.G. (I know I know, but that's the name!) are the OEM supplier for Chrysler, and are resold by Crown and are available on Quadratec, 4wd, Jeep4x4center, and more places. For 90-99, p/n 53007449. If you want them to last as long as your originals did, buy the originals. They cost a little more, but they're worth it.

How long did your stock wheel bearings last?? I know many people with 150k on originals...which is a LOT longer than the 'lifetime' warranty autozone ones that I've known many people to go through 3 sets.

yea I have 165k on the orignals actually its only the right front thats bad ,left front is quiet .just wanted to see if its really a true timken not the cheap version timken ,kinda like how a tire maker will have their brand and then sell walmart a cheaper version of the same brand tire.

I recommend the Timkens from Amazon.com. Cost is about $80 each. Cheapest by far for Timkens.

Autozone will price match.

FWIW, I've pulled a few XJ/TJ/MJ D44s apart, and all of them had Timken carrier bearings, never been rebuilt till we opened them up. The XJ and MJ axles both had about 200K on them.

If I can get them from the OEM supplier, and they last as long as the ones on my XJ now have, I'd be willing to pay 300 or 400 each.

MY XJ has 348,033 miles on it right now and it is still riding on the original wheel bearings.

Autozone will price match.

FWIW, I've pulled a few XJ/TJ/MJ D44s apart, and all of them had Timken carrier bearings, never been rebuilt till we opened them up. The XJ and MJ axles both had about 200K on them.

Those are carrier bearings, not unit bearings. I'd vote for Timken for just about everything else, and even hubs if money is a factor and they're easier to find...but the originals weren't by them.

If I can get them from the OEM supplier, and they last as long as the ones on my XJ now have, I'd be willing to pay 300 or 400 each.

MY XJ has 348,033 miles on it right now and it is still riding on the original wheel bearings.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/product-information.asp?number=53007449 those come from the OE supplier...Quadratec and many other places sell them, too, and the price varies. If you call up a place, just ask who supplies the part.

HAS ANYBODY USED THESE ? AUTOZONE LISTS THEM ( THE GOOD ONES NOT THE VALUE LINE ) AS TIMKEN BEARINGS.DONT WANT SOME CHINA CHEAPEES THAT ONLY LAST 6 MONTHS. THEY SEEM ABOUT 20 BUCKS CHEAPER THAN NAPA OR CARQUEST. ARE THEY WORTH IT? ITS A 90 XJ.

If you want Carquest, they will likely price match the Autozone price. They did on my IAC the other day- saving $20.00+/-.

If you want Carquest, they will likely price match the Autozone price. They did on my IAC the other day- saving $20.00+/-.
good to know but i think the carquest guy said they were national not timken dont they have to be the same brand?

I also had some Timkens that didn't last very long. I replaced them with ones that I got from a small independent shop for $60 each with a lifetime warranty. The owner assured me that I can bring them in with my receipt and get new ones with no questions asked.

They've been fine for 4 months now. And they're so easy to swap out, I won't mind if I have to change them once a year. And yes, I do carry trail spares.

i use junkyard 297 shafts with unit bearings attached for 32$ each out the door. pull off brakes, pull off 3 hub bolts and swap entire shaft. its a very quick process and ive yet to have a prob with the junkyard hubs, but i think that is pure dumb luck

Back