• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 cherokee no start

Sky High Comanche

NAXJA Forum User
I bough a 1996 cherokee sport with a 5 speed and a 231. It turns over just fine but it will not start, I have no spark. I have checked the CPS, and the Crank PS, and I changed the coil. I thought the computer was bad but im not sure. I had the codes checked at atuozone with that little obd 2 thing and is came back with no codes. I would like any suggestion, or any help.
thanks,
Holden

Ok.

No spark. Do you have power to the coil? If not, then check your ASD relay, it provides power to the coil when the ECU/PCM tells it too. If you have power to the coil but no spark, then the CPS/CKP--crank position sensor is not telling the ECU/PCM to collapse the field and fire the coil, or the wiring is not allowing the signal to the ECU/PCM, or the ECU/PCM is bad, or the wiring from the ECU/PCM to the coil is bad.

I would start with swapping a few relays around in the PDC--they should all be the same part number. Mark them before you start swapping them around. Other relays would be the fuel pump, starter, oxygen heater, and air conditioning.

Post back what you find.

Back