• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

few problems after steering column swap

Rob277

NAXJA Forum User
have a '90 model xj laredo. Tilt was sloppy so I went to fix it. I've done this before on a few gm trucks. Went to pull the pins and someone has evidently tried this before as both pins have had a bolt broken off in them. Went to pull a part and got a column out of a '91 laredo. Of course it was the only one that wasn't busted up and it had no key. after all the trouble of beating the old lock cylinder out and putting mine in I've got everything hooked back up and now I'm having a couple electrical issues.

Everything works except for the wipers, and all the dash lights. The wipers don't work at all. Wash doesn't work, high low and pulse don't work. The only thing I've noticed is there is one pigtail hanging loose that is ziptied to the yellow box (which I'm not sure what it is). I'm just getting frustrated with it so i thought i'd see if anyone has any ideas. Have to work until 7pm tomorrow and it's supposed to rain so wipers and dash lights would be a big plus.

BTW the pigtail i've linked a picture to.
0119101935a.jpg

Were they both the same? Intermittent wipers or 2 speed? On 2 speed wipers the switch connects to the dash harness, on intermittent wipe there is a little black box inbetween the connector and dash harness. Cruise Control or not?

The big yellow box (6"x4"x1/ 1/2") is the cruise control module used on 90 and earlier models only.

The connector in your hand looks like where the cruise control switch from the column plugs in (is it 4 wires?). In the background I can see the intermittent wiper module, and the yellow cruise control box.

Have you tried removing the intermittent wiper module and plugging the 2 connectors directly together to see if the wipers work then?

Last edited:
That's a confusing part. The jeep I got it out of had a intermittent module, but soneone had grabbed the stalk out of it so i couldn't really test it from there. I swapped mine in and it seems to only have high/low. Unless the box out of the '91 was a dummy box this isn't making much sense. This is my first AMC/Mopar adventure, but I've swaped a few out in GM's and you could replace a intermittent with a high/low just by the column alone.

My truck came with cruise and intermittent wipers, but the cruise has never worked.

It isn't the cruise pigtail, that's plugged in. This one is a 3-wire I believe. I'm going to go try bypassing the module as stated and write down the wire colors on that pigtail.

Bypassed module. I now have high/low and wash. That's good enough for me, as i never really use delay anyway. But they won't park they just stop when cut off.

as for the pigtail it is a 3-wire. Wires are gray, black, orange w/white stripe.

I can live with wipers working but it would be nice to have dash lights.

On the dash lights I'd check to see if a wire got pinched and blew a fuse. The only light in the column is for the key lock but I'm not sure if that's tied into the dash lights.

I believe you're right on the emission timer. I forgot I pulled That POS out. I was really tired of the blazing orange dash light staring at me.

Back