• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which starter should I buy?

Depends on the transmission in your XJ.

Buy a new one or a fully rebuilt one. I prefer NAPA.

"Lifetime warranty" starters from IdiotZone, PepBoys, or Advanced (and others) only have the parts that "look" worn replaced. They usually last a year or two and then you need another. After 2 or 3 starters have bit the dust you may find you have saved a few dollars but you have lost a bunch of time and been greatly frustrated exchanging the crap starter for more crap.

Agreed on NAPA. They gave me the wrong part yesterday (their computer told them to) and when I went back for the right one they gave me a discount. AutismZone on the other hand lost me as a customer on Sunday.

Buy a new one or a fully rebuilt one. I prefer NAPA.

"Lifetime warranty" starters from IdiotZone, PepBoys, or Advanced (and others) only have the parts that "look" worn replaced. They usually last a year or two and then you need another. After 2 or 3 starters have bit the dust you may find you have saved a few dollars but you have lost a bunch of time and been greatly frustrated exchanging the crap starter for more crap.

Thanks alot, Tim_MN, you messed up my setup for the joke!

The OP was supposed to ask "What difference does the transmission type make?", and I was going to answer "If you have a manual transmission, just get any starter that Autozone/Schucks/O'Reilly sells, and if you have an automatic transmission you should go to NAPA and get a remanufactured Bosch starter." And then the OP would ask "Why is that?" and I was going to reply "Because if you buy a starter from Autozone/Schucks/O'Reilly you need a manual transmission so you can push start it." Funny, right?

I need to get a hobby.

As Tim_MN said, go to NAPA, I like the Bosch remans they sell.

Its an auto...NP231 I believe

I was horsing around about the transmission, go to NAPA, I recommend the Bosch remans they sell.

Red Skelton hasn't worked in years, and here I am trying to be a comedian? :jester:

Or better yet, take the old starter to an alternator/starter rebuilder, you'll get back your starter, only it will be rebuilt and you be able to tell it from new. Your money will stay local and not shipped to the far east.

Joe Peters, Red Skelton! He was the best. Smooooooth-remember that one?
He would have them rolling in the isles and never once did he ever swear or use coarse
language.

Or better yet, take the old starter to an alternator/starter rebuilder, you'll get back your starter, only it will be rebuilt and you be able to tell it from new. Your money will stay local and not shipped to the far east.

He would have them rolling in the isles and never once did he ever swear or use coarse
language.

That was one fine man. Loved his signature sign off: "Good night and may God bless."

Class act.

language.

He lives in San Diego--drop it off in the morning, Tijuana by noon, and back to you by 5 pm. I could be wrong, but I don't think so. Still, as loose as that border is Tijuana could be considered local.

I bought an Autolite at NAPA back in August for $184.01 and it has served me well. Clearly, it was not as beefy as the OEM, but I have not had a problem with it.

I looked at one at Autozone first, and slowly backed away from the counter in disgust and promptly purchased the starter at NAPA.

I thought the stock starter was Denso (just like OEM alternators I think).

I like Delco stuff though, but I think those alternators only came on the 2.8 XJs... I'd take one only if I intended on a 3.4HT swap (or other engine swap). Poor lil 2.8 was gutless and unreliable hiding under all those vaccum lines and emission pumps.

I think Denso is owned (about a quarter of it) by Toyota, and they generally make good stuff, so it wouldn't surprise me that Denso is cranking out good parts.

my DD (93' Honda accord) is about 80% Denso under the hood, all of said parts are original, starter included. I buy from rockauto.com because they have such a wide selection of manufacturers and levels of quality to choose from, that being said I buy denso products whenever I can afford, they're spendy but worth it.

As for which one to buy,I would try to get mine rebuilt if i knew a good local guy as well. I just bought one from O'reillys for my wife's 99, read my earlier post. The 99' models are priced way high and are the same exact starters as my 94'. I dont know why but O'reillys and Napa priced em almost the same and they are the same. LOL

Lil' Joe

Back