• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help identifying part

wildcat-xj

NAXJA Forum User
1989 xj 4.0 4x4

what is the part that is right under the wire plug shown? it is not hooked to anything. this is the drivers side. im thinking this is either drain plug or coolant temp sensor. there is another screwed in fitting with wires coming off a little above and forward this one. what is it and can i remove it and put in a temp gauge dipstick thingy and bypass the idiot light?

4287263900_1f048cefb0.jpg

thanks!!!!

Cant really see anything from the pic, can you get a different angle of it. Actually showing the part?
If it wasnt dark and snowy out I would crawl under my jeep and look (I have an 89)

Looks like a drain plug to me. Looks like whats on the bottom of my compressor. can you turn it either way?

Last edited:
wow, a little testy are we?
I just looked it up on Lunghd.com and youre right, the knock sensor is on the drivers side
I coulda swore it was on the passengers side though

Edit: posted before you edited yours to include the link...
Knock Sensor

Mounted on lower, driver side of engine block, this small piezo-electrical device tells the ECM to retard ignition timing when it detects engine 'ping' / knock
OP, If it is the knock sensor It will be about 1" round x ~1" long with a 2 prong plug screwed into teh block

Last edited:
Actually yes. :D

You can actually see the loose rubber boot part of the connector hanging down by the upper control arm mount that is suppose to be connected to it. Bosch fuel injector style connector.

I highly recommend afternoon naps for testiness! :speepin:

I know but the boss just doesn't like it for some reason when I nap on the job. :D

Get your Doc to write a note saying you have partial narcolepsy and need an afternoon nap. That should qualify you under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Of course, if you are a pilot, truck driver, heavy equipment operator, surgeon, EOD technician, then maybe this wouldn't be such a good idea for you, job-wise. :gag:

thanks. it sounds like its the knock sensor. so i guess the coolant sensor is the one above it and more forward.

Yes, up by the "freeze plugs".

Back