• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3 link fab help

andneverexhale

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of building a 60 front and replacing my RE kit. My plan is to buy a crossmember to build my own 3 link from. My question is does anybody have any advice on a good crossmember to use as my platform. i was lookig at the bds and thinking i could just use 3 of the mounts but im not sure i like how it mounts to the unibody. Any advice?

I've built two front 3 links, both work very well, and neither one uses a new crossmember. :D

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

my reason for not building one is that im not confident enough in my welding knowledge to build a crossmember. i guess i could wait till i finished school to built one and then id have plenty of information but id rather build off of something now.

Not flaming you or anything, but if you don't feel confident welding a crossmember what makes you feel confident you can weld your links together? How about building a crossmember, making friends with someone with welding experience or better yet a professional. Best of both worlds right there: you can say you made it and you can trust that the welds are solid.

Im not trying to come off as a smartass but i never said i would be welding. I agree with the best of both worlds statement but at this time im taking the easier route and changes will come with time and experience.

Search in mod tech and advanced fab about 3 links. Before you leap into a project that may be above your head, research and be sure of what you're getting into.

I dont have to be the one doing the welding to design it. I have been reading, searching and researching for the past year almost but thanks for looking out.

you could do something like this, but i think most people put the upper on the driver side to avoid the exhaust.
what exactly are you asking? you say your designing a 3link, well, start designing! we have nothing to work with without designing it for you, or posting links of others who designed an incarnation of it previously

Last edited:
how 'bout showing us the bottom instead? :D

:)

My point is that a good 3 link doesn't need to be long arm. Mine work very well and are mid arm, and so no new crossmember is needed. If this discussion is about long arm crossmembers, that's fine, but if it's about fabbing a 3 link, there are other things to talk about.

While we're on the topic of fabbing 3 links, why not describe the benefits of a mid arm vs. a long arm and vise versa?
The mid arm has less link to get hung up on, I know that, but what else?

The long arm has more potential flex as there's a greater radius to the longer link, but more arm to get hung up on. Correct?

neverexhale-I can appreciate you designing your own 3-link and having someone weld it for you. That's considerably better than someone just buying a welder and saying I can do this, without any prior experience in welding or building. So my hats off to you Sir. On that same note, why not design a new crossmember and have someone else build it to your specs? That way instead of relying on a crossmember with a certain amount of geometry already in place (which might not coenside with what you want), you design everything from scratch with the potential of everything working together with less compromise. I'm sure there's more than enough places by you willing to build it for you, or enough very capable guys on here will to help you out. Just food for thought.

:)

My point is that a good 3 link doesn't need to be long arm. Mine work very well and are mid arm, and so no new crossmember is needed. If this discussion is about long arm crossmembers, that's fine, but if it's about fabbing a 3 link, there are other things to talk about.

So where exactly do your links mount if you don't have an aftermarket crossmember? Framerails somewhere? I still wanna see the bottom lol.

Back