• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 to 95 parts swap?

seth15210

NAXJA Forum User
i just picked up at 87 xj laredo for parts. i got it because it has the d44 with limited slip. plus the chrome trim i wanted. what im trying to figure out is what else besides the axel, trim, wheels, and obvious body parts are worth saving. im not sure what electronics are compatiable or hardparts. i was thinking the radiator because its a 3 core but ???? any input would help..

What is it you are trying to accomplish? Almost everything will bolt up. The Seats wont for sure. The electical stuff will be mostly useless as well

well the interior is beat bad, i have a full leather swap in mine anyway. the body is rusted out for the most part. i was thinking of brakes, cooling parts, anything mechanical

the front brakes are matched to the knuckes, and changed several times. So check and make sure the stuff fits.

For the cooling system, If the 87 has no filler cap on the Rad and a pressurized plastic bottle, then that wont be of any use either. Try searching for closed vs open cooling systems.

And I guess I over, reacted a bit, the renix harness isnt completely useless, Its supplied connectors for other projects.

Maybe try parting it out in the North Atlantic chapter

ya it has it, the guy i bought the xj off wouldnt part it out but i got him down to 200 for the whole thing. so the axel and some other odd-n-ends i think i did pretty well. im trying to part it out also so ill make most of that money back so i get free stuff

What is it you are trying to accomplish? Almost everything will bolt up. The Seats wont for sure. The electical stuff will be mostly useless as well

maybe on the seats. 95 was the year that the seat brackets changed mid year. my 95 was built late 94 and has the earlier seat brackets. in order to put seats in mine from a 97 ZJ, i had to swap the seat brackets to the zj seats.

very little of the electronics will work. next to no sensors will swap over. a dash clock was not an option in 95 so there is no pigtail behind the dash for one, but it can be hardwired in. small stuff like lighted sun visors, rear sound bar, fog lights, trailer wiring harness etc may swap over

well the interior is beat bad, i have a full leather swap in mine anyway. the body is rusted out for the most part. i was thinking of brakes, cooling parts, anything mechanical

pre 95 brakes sucked bad. 95 was the first year for the dual diaphragm booster. RENIX era front brakes had a bracket that bolts to the knuckle similar to how the WJ brakes are set up. the renix cooling system was the one with the pressurized overflow bottle that likes to crack and the rest of the cooling system sucks too. drive shafts may swap over (depends on auto vs manual etc). driver side front axle shaft will swap over, but the unit bearing wont. if the pass side axle shaft is a one piece shaft (not the vac disco) then it will swap over but not the unit bearing. the alt wont work. i dont know if the starter will. fuel pump wont, but the tank will. tc cross member and/or all skids will. e fan fits but is a downgrade.

forget about the intake manifold, exhaust manifold, EGR, RENIX sensors and computer, head, vac disco axle, AC and a bunch other crap. the block could be used to build a stroker with though!

i know theres more but i cant think of it right now

Back