• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overfilled AW4?

gw204

NAXJA Forum User
Turns out I didn't pay close enough attention to the manual when I did my AW4 service two weeks ago and filled to the "Full" line on the dipstick. I didn't get a chance to double check the level with the trans at operating temp until two (drove for about 35 miles, parked it, shifted through the gears, left the engine idling and put it in park) and found that the level was about a 1/4 above the "Full" line. Duh... I'm a :looser: for letting myself do that...

So, I've since drained about 12 oz. of fluid and the level is now about 1/4" below the top hole of the dipstick when the trans is hot, so it's where it should be.

During these two weeks, I never noticed any erratic shifting, she never spit any fluid out of the dipstick tube, no leaks on the ground, didn't look like the fluid was foaming when I first checked the hot level and found it to be overfilled, etc. Everything seems to be normal. So, I think everything is OK, but I'm wondering if anything detrimental has happend to the fluid itself. The stuff I drained out looks slightly brown when in a glass container (not bright red like brand new fluid), but I doubt I could tell the difference based on what shows on the dipstick and what I got all over my hands when cracking the drain plug to let some out.

What do you guys think? Should I drain it again, refill with new fluid and flush out everything that's in there or just leave it alone? I think it's been about 700 miles.

Thanks.

Overfilling a small amount shouldn't hurt it, biggest short-term risk is that the fluid will spill out the dipstick when it gets hot.

Color is hard to judge. It will look clear with red tint poured from the bottle but look deep red almost black in a jug. You probably have some old fluid in there as well, since drain and fill only gets whats in the pan.

chances are that if it wasn't airated and foamy, you're fine. The reason for the slightly discolored fluid is beacuse the new stuff has mixed with the remaining older fluid. I would do the same "service" drain and fill a couple more times at your convenience and rest assured that you've gotten most of the older fluid out.

Thanks guys. I forgot to mention that I did complete fluid exchange by pulling the return line and pumping out a quart at a time. That why I'm a bit concered about the color of the fluid.

You might be surprised how little old fluid it takes to make the new stuff look old. I wouldn't sweat the looks of it if it's shifting fine. Just keep an eye on her and see where it goes-- probably nothing to worry about.

I wouldn't sweat it, especially now that the level is fine. When there are tranny problems, you will know for certain.

Back