• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fog light pigtail

RedChuck

NAXJA Forum User
did a search and can't find anything about this. where can i find a pig tail for the factory fog lamp switch i want to wire my aftermarket lamps to a factory switch i have

part number would be great but if anyone has one laying around would be sweet

Junkyard will have them, probably charge nothing or very little. Not sure there was ever a separate part number for the connector (unless you mean for ordering through an electronics distributor) so you'd have to pick up a full harness.

i know after 98 every cheokee had the connector in the dash it just wasn't connected to anything if you didn't have factory fogs, so i would try a junk yard, Thats where i got an extra one and they did not charge me.

wait its in the dash? is it already routed some where? like to the fuse box?

i would like have it disconnected from the main lights so i can have them on when the high beams are on.

yeah, it's in the dash for every 96 and I believe as early as 91 as well, I would not be surprised if it's present all the way back to 87 or 88. The wiring actually goes as far as the connector to the headlight harness on pre-97 XJs (but does not go past that connector unless you get a header panel/headlight harness from an XJ that came with factory fogs) and while I have heard from sources I trust that it is not included in the engine bay harness on 97+ XJs unless they came with factory fogs, I cannot find information to back this up in my MOPAR parts catalogs.

is that what the single connector, hanging behind the bumper, is connected to?

if so is there another connection before the fuse block i can tap into for running a heavier duty harness to the lights?

does the third switch slot have to be cut out or is it just a snap in block of plate?

edit: answered my own question looks as if i need to get a different panel as this one has the third switch bay is completely diff

SNC00982.jpg

any one know the part numb for the 4 slot might as well get that for some kinda expansion

Last edited:
is that what the single connector, hanging behind the bumper, is connected to?

if so is there another connection before the fuse block i can tap into for running a heavier duty harness to the lights?
Like was said, that's for the temp sensor on a 97+, the temp sensor cable on a pre-97 terminates under the front end of the PDC and an extension cable is used to connect it when an OHC is installed.

does the third switch slot have to be cut out or is it just a snap in block of plate?

edit: answered my own question looks as if i need to get a different panel as this one has the third switch bay is completely diff

SNC00982.jpg

any one know the part numb for the 4 slot might as well get that for some kinda expansion
I've posted it a few times, as have others, search google for "4 slot switch panel naxja 97" or something similar and you should find it. Warning though, it is like an 80 dollar 50-cent piece of plastic :scared: because it's only really available through MOPAR/resellers. You probably won't want to pay that much.

The temp sensor is used only when an OHC is installed - the other end of the wiring for it, at least on a pre-97, is in a connector located behind the right kick panel, down by the lower door hinge. The wire colors are the same for the two wires from one end to the other - I believe they are black/light-blue and either green/purple or purple/green (I want to say green/purple, not sure.) They aren't rated for much current though, so be careful with them, don't drive anything more than a relay coil with them.

cool thanks for the info. i have always wanted a rear view mirror with the temp display in it now i can make that happen

if i don't find a 4slot panel cheap then im just going to have to make one for free

so i hooked up the fog switch last night it lights up with the dash the and took the volt meter to the relay slot for the lamps and the are to hot pins but they were hot when the switch was on and off

so if someone had instructions left over from installing the factory harness i think i could make my own harness easy i just don't want to tare the whole damn jeep up to trace down the wires. i might just end up running to new wires and tie into the switch and leave the other 2 for the dash lights and ground

also the haines book had like 6 diferent wire diagrams for the front lighting curcuit anyone know the right diagram for a 99 xj if i could figure out what the fogs are soppose to tie into i could trace it down and make the proper connections

Last edited:
When I installed my factory fog light kit on my 98 some 12 years ago.... the kit includes a harness that goes from the switch bezel thru the firewall to an additional relay in the engine compartment which ties into 12V power and ground for the relay. Then there is a wire that connects to the headlight hi beam circuit to turn the foglights off when the high beams are turned on and anothr wire that connects to the parking lights to provide power to the relay when the bezel switch is turned on. The relay in the engine compartment has a section of harness that crosses in front of the radiator going to the foglights.
So what I am trying to say is that there is another harnesss required for powering up the foglights.

By the way... I recently installed a 4 switch bezel for another set of off road lights and have a spare 3 switch bezel if anyone is interested....

Back