• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need dana 30 truss & buildup info

knucklehead 61

NAXJA Forum User
ok, i tried searching but am a total tard :rattle:
i am getting ready to build up my hp d30 & am waiting for parts.
i am thinking i should truss it while it is out, but have not found any good build threads showing how to do it without f-ing it up.

so far i plan on:
4.88 gears, arb, ruffstuff cover, 30 spline axles, new ball joints & unit bearings

already installed: currie steering & goferit otk flip doomahickie.

my junk is re 5.5" short arms with drop brackets on 35's.

so hopefully someone can link or show some pix of trussing the housing.

Easiest is to just buy a TNT housing. It comes all welded up, you just cut off your uca mounts and burn the new truss in.

Easiest is to just buy a TNT housing. It comes all welded up, you just cut off your uca mounts and burn the new truss in.

They don't connect the inner C's to each other or the pumpkin to the truss. If I was going to do a truss it would go from C to C and touch the tubes and the differential. If you want strength then look at what the JeepSpeed guys do with a D30...

-Alex

You can try searching around for TJ stuff. Many places make kits to beef up the TJ/JK front axles. Some make half tubes that go under the tubes, one or two make a tube that slides inside of the tube, and whatever else.

I'm about to start a project building a D30 for my street XJ, and will truss it and relocate the control arm mounts for better arm angles with a short arm RE 5.5" kit. Bring yours down and I'll do two of them. :)

bringing this back up.

Looking to truss my D30, was planning on getting a T&T truss, but after pricing it out with new upper CA mounts and OTA trackbar mount, it's like $360 plus shipping! Little pricey if you ask me.

Would like to see what ideas are out there for fabbing one up.

Thanks

yeah I looked into this myself couldnt find too many write ups or anything, I want my truss on the bottom tho instead of the top

yeah I looked into this myself couldnt find too many write ups or anything, I want my truss on the bottom tho instead of the top

Yeah I looked over on JeepSpeed and most of those guys truss the bottom. It looks just as strong on the bottom and easier to fab as you don't have to mess with the UCA mounts and TB mount. Only thing is it kills your ground clearance.

I would love that T&T truss, but basically at $400, I just can't see it. Considering with a little fabbing and maybe $100 in metal and misc parts, you can build one yourself.

Go out and find a piece of 2x5" 0.25 rectangle tube that is around 3-4' long. You can make a truss very similar to the TnT piece for much cheaper.

Go out and find a piece of 2x5" 0.25 rectangle tube that is around 3-4' long. You can make a truss very similar to the TnT piece for much cheaper.

guessing you run it on top? I was thinking about running it on the bottom, but tuck it up tight so you don't lose too much ground clearance.

Also, where can you buy new UCA mounts?

Just get some rect tubing, notch it out to match the contour of the center section, and burn it out right. Cheap, easy, strong, done. Add link brackets where ever you please.

3"x6" 5/16" wall rect tubing on my hp60

2ynqsky.jpg

Is 3/16" 2x6 box thick enough to make a top truss? I see you guys using 1/4 and 5/16.

Just get some rect tubing, notch it out to match the contour of the center section, and burn it out right. Cheap, easy, strong, done. Add link brackets where ever you please.

3"x6" 5/16" wall rect tubing on my hp60

2ynqsky.jpg

Looks great!

Quick question though, the way you have the truss set up, looks like the coil buckets are gonna add a little lift in the front since they're gonna sit on the truss right? Where are you planning on getting UCA mounts?

Looks great!

Quick question though, the way you have the truss set up, looks like the coil buckets are gonna add a little lift in the front since they're gonna sit on the truss right? Where are you planning on getting UCA mounts?

Thanks. The truss has since been notched out for the coil buckets. They are about 1-1.5" above the top of the axle tube. As for the UCA mount, itll be a piece of square tubing with one side cutoff and sunken into the truss and extending all the way down to the axle tube too, Ballistic 2.63 joints. If I were to do a stock-like UCA mount, Id run some 2" Johnny Joints or something like that. Or a RE small superride bushing like my current D30 has.

Thanks. The truss has since been notched out for the coil buckets. They are about 1-1.5" above the top of the axle tube. As for the UCA mount, itll be a piece of square tubing with one side cutoff and sunken into the truss and extending all the way down to the axle tube too, Ballistic 2.63 joints. If I were to do a stock-like UCA mount, Id run some 2" Johnny Joints or something like that. Or a RE small superride bushing like my current D30 has.

Hmm, yeah I was thinking of using square tubing and welding round stock at the top, then just using a stock bushing. Didn't really think about johnny joints, I'll have to look into the RE bushings too.

You have any updated pics?

Back