• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what d30 unit bearings to buy?

knucklehead 61

NAXJA Forum User
ok, i killed my unit bearings & need to replace them.
my rig is a 2000XJ but it has a HP D-30 front axle.
i guess someone swapped out the low for a high pinion axle assembly sometime in the rigs past.
anyway, what unit bearings should i buy, or are they all the same modle number?
i will buy genuine timkin brand, just need to know which to get...:repair:

Most likely your oem units should be correct,its based on a combination of what knuckle/rotor/bearing you actually have installed.Just take it with you and visually compare them to each other,the differences are obvious.

The older years use tapered roller bearings rather than ball bearings. They are supposed to last a lot longer, but you gotta switch your rotors too because they have a different offset. I think the 91s and earlier had them, but can't remember.

I got mine from here: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1179873,parttype,1636

I'm still searching for a reason why dana (or chrysler) changed to a ball bearing design. :banghead:

frickin morons

I'm still searching for a reason why dana (or chrysler) changed to a ball bearing design. :banghead:

frickin morons
$$$$/maintainance,even the newer 1/2-3/4 tons use unit bearings.

Every set i've gotten from vatozone for multiple jeeps has been the same ball bearing style, They probably use the same PN for all. and Oreilly's/krag was the same part ie. identical markings etc. If they'd only give em a lifetime warranty. im getting tired of taking a jy set up there every 3 months to trade em in

Every set i've gotten from vatozone for multiple jeeps has been the same ball bearing style, They probably use the same PN for all. and Oreilly's/krag was the same part ie. identical markings etc. If they'd only give em a lifetime warranty. im getting tired of taking a jy set up there every 3 months to trade em in

my 89 has the tapered roller bearing.

for unit bearing hubs, i bought timkin hubs and they have lasted a long time. cheap hubs dont last long. my belief is that lifetime warranty items at auto zone fail sooner just to get you back in the store to buy something else.

This might help:

Three different unit hub/bearing assemblies and disk brake rotor types were used over the years on XJ D30's. The unit hub/bearing are the same part number for both sides of the vehicle. The model years for hub/bearing assemblies were:

1) Orignial AMC hubs used 1984 through 1989 (original type brake rotors and calipers, and orignal roller bearing hubs)

2) Older type unit hubs used 1990 through 1999.5 (composite brake rotors)

3) New type unit hubs used 1999.5 through 2001 (cast brake rotors).

Two steering knuckle designs were used: 1984 to 1989 and 1990 to 2001. Left and right side knuckles have different part numbers.

Two types of brake caliper designs were used: 1984 to 1989 and 1990 to 2001. Left and right sides are different part numbers.

** You need to match the disk brake rotor type and measurements to the unit bearing/hub type and measurements currently on your XJ. **

Previous owners or a repair shop may have installed different replacement parts. It is possible to have one old type and one new type unit hub.

Cast vs. Composite rotors Identification and Measurement -

Lay your old rotor on your bench and measure from the bench to the top of the rotor. Be aware that your rotors may have been replaced previously and may have a different physical appearance than described and pictured below. The physical measurements will be the same as noted.

Composite rotors should have a rounded off corner at the wheel mounting surface and look like two pieces joined together. Composite rotors have a thin sheet metal like appearance at the holes where the lug nut studs come through and measure about 1/8 "(.125) thick in this area. Composite rotors have an overall height of 3 3/16".

Cast rotors have a 90 degree angle edge at the wheel mounting surface and look like they are one solid piece of metal. Cast rotors are thicker at the lug nut stud holes and measure between 1/4" (.250) to 5/16 (.320) in this area. Cast rotors have an overall height of 3 1/16".

*** Parts store replacement rotors may have a different physical appearance than the pictures, but should have similar measurements to the rotors currently on your D30 front axle. You must measure your current rotors and compare the measurements to the replacement rotors at the parts store before purchasing. ***

standard.jpg

If, after measuring your current rotors, you are still unsure of which type of rotor/bearing you have or if you suspect that a previous owner or a repair shop may have installed replacement parts, compare the Unit Hub Bearings to the pictures below.

D30 unit/ bearing hubs, disk brake rotors, brake calipers, and axle shafts are interchangeable (1990-2001), and HP vs. LP. You just need to have the rotor type, match the hub type, cast vs. composite. Or, just swap the hubs and rotors as a matched set. The calipers are exactly the same, cast vs. composite or HP vs. LP.

2000 and 2001 XJ D30's are Low Pinion axles, just like the TJ Wranglers.

Hub Type Identification -

- 1999.5 to 2001 unit bearing/hub on the left of the picture uses the cast rotor. The 1999.5 - 2001 unit bearing/hubs have the taller ring around the 36MM shaft retaining nut. It is almost 3/4 inch tall and the hub has longer lug nut studs than older hubs. See the axle shaft picture below.

-------------------------------

- 1990 to 1999.5 unit bearing/hub on the right of the picture uses the composite rotor. The 1990 - 1999.5 unit bearing/hubs have the ring around 36MM shaft retaining nut that is approximately 1/2 inch tall. See the axle shaft picture below.

I wonder if you have a late 1999.5 model with the original HP30. In that case you would have cast rotors and use the same bearings as a 2000/2001 XJ. In either case, pulling a wheel and measuring the rotor might be the easiest way to figure it out. There are drawings on here somewhere that show the difference between the rotors and bearings for cast and composite systems.

my arb's & gears showed up today & i dropped off all the armour & bumpers at the powder coaters so the rig is getting torn apart tomorrow. i'll yank out the old hubs & brakes, measure them up & use the diagram above to figure out which hubs to buy. thanks for all the info guys!

I got mine from Amazon yesterday and installed them today, perfect fit and fantastic price. Glad I found this thread!

I got mine from Amazon yesterday and installed them today, perfect fit and fantastic price. Glad I found this thread!
cool, you are just ahead of me.
i got mine from amazon yesterday, painted them, but only got one installed. i'll finish them tonight. :clap:

Back