• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel gauge error correction?

Txakura

NAXJA Forum User
Did a quick search, but didnt see anything quite like this; my gauge reads too high, it works fine, but F is full forever and then about the time the idiot light comes on you better have some good shoes. (1990 'Sport') It's physically empty at 1/8 of a tank showing.

It's like it's adjusted out of range, if it was set 1/4 tank lower it'd be about right. The question is, is there an adjustment on the gauge back, or is this something from the sending unit?

Thanks in advance guys.

No adjustment I know of. The float arm could be bent or not correctly seated. Maybe the pump module isn't seated in the tank locating hole at the bottom of the tank too.

Same problem here. When I fill up mine goes about an 1/8 over the full mark then by the 1/8 it dies. When I first got it, it took me an hour to figure out that it was only out of gas after checking EVERYTHING, lol..

Ours is exactly the opposite, which I guess would be preferable but it's still annoying.

Topping it off until there is gas on your shoes is the only way to get a true "F", and when the light goes on you could probably still get another 80-100 miles out of it.

At least it makes it harder for the wife to run it out of gas.

I had this same problem on my 87. I replaced the entire fuel pump assembly as my fuel pump cover separated from the metal tubes. Problem went away. the pump came with a new sending unit and float

I had this same problem on my 87. I replaced the entire fuel pump assembly as my fuel pump cover separated from the metal tubes. Problem went away. the pump came with a new sending unit and float

and that was pretty straight forward? you didn't have to adjust the float and mess around much or what?

seems pretty common problem judging by the replies

If you want to test the gauge for accuracy, 1 ohm resistance = empty; 44 ohms resistance = 1/2; 88 ohms resistance = full.

Buy the appropriate resistors from Radio Shack and test the gauge's accuracy.

If you want to test the gauge for accuracy, 1 ohm resistance = empty; 44 ohms resistance = 1/2; 88 ohms resistance = full.

Buy the appropriate resistors from Radio Shack and test the gauge's accuracy.

Joe, you must get tired of repeating that. LOL when I searched for my problem I saw you post this atleast 10 times...

Joe, you must get tired of repeating that. LOL when I searched for my problem I saw you post this atleast 10 times...

You caught me! :D

Hey another thing to look into is the Fuel strainer. Today I went out and pulled my pump and the strainer was sitting on the bottom of the tank. With the new strainer on, it picks up fuel a good 1/4-1/2 inch lower then it did before. So far Im at 1/8th tank and no more sputtering around corners and more power.

Im going to carry a can around with me to see when it dies. lol.
HTH.

Hey another thing to look into is the Fuel strainer. Today I went out and pulled my pump and the strainer was sitting on the bottom of the tank. With the new strainer on, it picks up fuel a good 1/4-1/2 inch lower then it did before. So far Im at 1/8th tank and no more sputtering around corners and more power.

Im going to carry a can around with me to see when it dies. lol.
HTH.

NOT! Running a fuel-lubricated in-tank pump dry will shorten its life. :scared:

You were kidding, right? :cheers:

NOT! Running a fuel-lubricated in-tank pump dry will shorten its life. :scared:

You were kidding, right? :cheers:
This is very true. But I cant due any more damage then is already done. It was running dry every tight right corner. Really though. I dont plan on running it bone dry. I just want to see if it goes past 1/8 tank now. :smoker:

You guys have any explanaion as to why the gauge in my '00 will drop slightly (less than 1/8th of a tank) if I let the Jeep sit overnight or while I'm at work?

Back