• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford Explorer drive shaft w/8.8?

djlarroc

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having a hard time finding a drive shaft that will work w/my sye. I have about 5" of lift, and moved my axle back 1". I tried to use a stock xj front shaft and it's about 5" short. A zj front shaft from a V8/249 combo was the longest I could find and will fit fully extended, but I think it's still about 3" short.

Any other suggestions for a JY shaft?

WJ?

...Or is there a way to adapt a rear shaft from a 2 Dr Explorer? The length is about right, but it has a flange on the front. Anyone know if this can be converted to a CV? And will it take 1310 U joints?

Been researching, but I have not found anything. I have measured about 37" from the center of the front u-joint on SYE to flat end on 8.8 flange. TIA

only suggestion is to have one lengthened at a driveline shop, a fraction of an aftermarket shaft

Based on my look through the dana-spicer CV driveshaft assembly catalog, you might want to try looking for a stock rear driveshaft out of a 78 Ford Bronco with a part-time NP205 transfer case, a 351ci engine, an automatic transmission, and 3.0:1 axle ratio. It has a collapsed length of 34.375 inches (flat plane of CV yoke to centerline of U-joint.) You need to find a way to measure what the max length of the driveshaft is for your setup when your springs are fully compressed first though to make sure it won't bottom out the slip joint. Other possibilities:

* a 97-98 Ford Expedition with the E40D transmission, 5.4L engine, Ford 9.75 axle - not sure the U-joint series is correct, but the rear driveshaft on this is a CV type and measures 34.438" fully collapsed.
* a 97-98 F150 with the 5.0L engine, E40D transmission, and 120" wheelbase will have a 36" CV type rear driveshaft. Not sure if U-joint series is correct though.
* If you can find a 1330 CV type yoke that will fit the NP231 output shaft (27 spline, whatever diameter it is) the front driveshaft out of an 89-94 F350 5spd with the 5.8L engine is 35.66" overall, and will work with the stock 8.8 flange due to the 1330 joints.
* an 80-83 Jeep J20 with a 6cyl or V8, 4spd transmission, and 131" wheelbase will have a 35.406" front driveshaft with 1310s. Looks like a good choice if you are looking for brand new, but orderable as an OEM part, but not so much if you're junkyard hunting.
* a 76-79 CJ-7 with an automatic transmission will have a 1310 front driveshaft measuring 36.563".

Since the ZJ V8/249 combo you listed as ~3" too short is approx 32.87" long collapsed, it looks like you're shooting for around 36". I'd re-measure or figure out the absolute max fully collapsed length that will not bottom out when your springs are fully compressed before making any real choices, so I included driveshaft lengths both above and below your estimated required length.

Remember that if you're using a Dana 2-2-1379 (1310 to ford 8.8) flange adapter, or the stock 1330-type 8.8 adapter and a 1330 to 1310 adapter U-joint you can take 1.625" off the length of the shaft you need.

I do have the Dana 2-2-1379 adapter, and did notice it reduces the length. So I'm looking for a shaft that would be about 37" fully extended? I found a rear shaft from a 98 2 dr Explorer yst. Seemed to be the right length. Can you tell me the specs on it?

On those other models you listed, am I able to bolt it up to the SYE, or what else is needed? Isn't there also an adapter for the front flange = yoke? I figured the conversion to CV will also add another 3-4" though. I was also told a TJ front shaft is longer and may work. Hard to find a TJ in the JY, but I'm going to go look again today.

Worst case, if I just need to have a shaft lengthened. What shaft should I grab? ZJ? XJ?

If you have it lengthened/retubed I doubt it'll matter much, as long as it has enough space on the slip spline to accommodate your suspension travel with adequate spline engagement. Just grab something with a large enough spline section (unfortunately not information that is in the catalog I pulled that info from) and has the right joints.

I looked over the TJ section in the catalog too, didn't see anything that would come very close to what you need. I'll take a look in the catalog for specs on the rear explorer shaft.

What you can do to find a flange adapter that'll fit so you can use the Explorer shaft: google for J300P-1, peruse resulting PDF until you find what you need. Any driveline shop, or National Drivetrain on here (I think) should be able to order any dana-spicer part for you.

EDIT: nevermind on that catalog, checked through real quick and could only find 27 spline on something like a 3.503" diameter shaft.

No luck at the JY again today. A friend gave me a drive shaft from an LJ (he works at jeep dealer) so I'm going to check how much to get that shortened.

Back