• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steel braided lines for zj brake swap

tucke

NAXJA Forum User
I have been looking all over and I see it mentioned that some one did the zj brake swap and purchased stailnless lines for the short caliper to axel lines. I alread have converted all the others to stainless and would like to keep them all that way. looks like a lot of people just use the rubber. Does anyone know of a supplier for the stainless or do I need to call up and have some custom ones made. I can find the body to axel line all day long but not the caliper ones. Thanks in advance. Cheers

Stainless lines are sold by length, so all you need is a measurement. All kinds of places to buy them. The only advantage to stainless lines is slightly more brake pressure in extreme braking situations, something that we would most likely never notice on a 4x4 vehicle. A rubber line can expand slightly, but very slightly, and the stainless won't. Like I said, I seriously doubt we would ever notice the difference. As far as durability in offroad situations, the rubber is clearly more durable. If a rock or ranch snags a rubber line it will usually stretch and give a little, but a stainless line will rip off. Virtually all of the broken brake lines I've seen in over 15 years of wheeling have been stainless lines. I am currently in the process of replacing two broken stainless lines on my buggy that were ripped by rocks. I ran rubber lines on the XJ and never broke one.

Thanks Goatman. I am sure that if the rubber is real old it will expand more than new. I will probably just get some rubber ones since they are pretty much protected above the axel anyway. thanks for the response. cheers

yah, just replace with new rubber ones. dont waste on SS lines

Back