• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

warm water to frozen windows

wim hoppenbrouwers

NAXJA Forum User
Hallo. Do you Jeepers defrost your frozen windshields with warm water like I do.
Many people are afraid to do for cracking.
But I doing this already for 40 years now, with 20 cars.
There was never a crack! Don't use boiled water! haha

wim

I'd rather just scrape the frost & ice off without adding any more water. And at the occasional -10 to -20 F, I'm not about to risk fracturing a windshield.

As long as I could put my hand in the water comfortably I'd do it as long as I didn't already have a crack started. I've had a 3" crack at one edge of the windshield grow inch by inch till it was all the way across 5 minutes later when I just turned on the defogger before, it wasn't even below freezing. This was on a dodge ram 2500 van but it's all pretty much the same glass.

I've been doing it that way for a while, just get a big cup or small pitcher of warm almost hot water and while the xj is running splash it across the windshield, then immediately hit the wipers to wipe the water away and no ice or anything.

I used to do it all the time in colorado, never an issue. one year i got a heated ice scraper and that worked pretty good but the speed of dumping water on it is still best.

Honestly I never do a perfect job, I just scrape it most of the way, free the wipers, and let my orange washer fluid dissolve what's left. If anything makes it past that it's gone 5 minutes down the road when my engine heats up and the defogger starts blowing hot air. If/when I build a remote start for it, I'll start it up a few minutes before I walk out the door. Similar to 962drrhino I never have the forethought to heat up water before going out the door.

EDIT: oh yeah... break the ice on your roof up into fist sized pieces and if you have time, push it off the roof. You don't want to kill some poor guy on the highway when it all peels off at once and lands on his windshield.

Put a towel across the windshield with the wipers resting on top of the towel.

In the morning lift the wipers off the towel, pry the towel off the windshield, start the engine and drive off.

No water, no scraper, enuff said.

Just put the car in the Damn Garage

He can't, that is where Wim keeps the windmills right alongside the dike plugs. :D :D :D :D :D

Rubbing alcohol will work better than water. Thats pretty much is whats in the "de-icer" windshield washer fluid.

I use the hot coffee method, start jeep, turn defrosters on high, go drink a cup of hot coffee while reading NAXJA, then BAM, clear windows.

I use the hot coffee method, start jeep, turn defrosters on high, go drink a cup of hot coffee while reading NAXJA, then BAM, clear windows.

There is a man after my own heart. That is known as multi-tasking,... the best of both worlds.

I use a similar set up, only I remember to turn my defroster on high the night before when i'm home for the night. The next morning, I push two buttons on my remote and the Jeep starts by itself. Give it about 10 minutes and it's good to go! :D

I use a similar set up, only I remember to turn my defroster on high the night before when i'm home for the night. The next morning, I push two buttons on my remote and the Jeep starts by itself. Give it about 10 minutes and it's good to go! :D

Now that's just wrong! I have to leave my boots untied with the laces inside. Go out to start the Jeep. Kick the boots off at the door so I don't bring the snow inside. On and on and on....

About what I would expect from someone who drives an automatic transmission. :D :D :D Real jeeps are sticks...

Back