• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gasoline without ethanol

heyhar

NAXJA Forum User
At the expense of starting another 'crappy MPG' thread/rant, the question I'll pose is, Does anyone know which brands or octanes of gasoline do not contain the '10% ethanol'? Yeah, like everyone else, I don't think I'm getting the MPG I should. And that's in our Outback, as well as our XJs. Urban legend has it that there are still brands without the corn-squeezins' in them. I know that winter blends don't go as far as summer, and longer warm-up times don't help. But, ethanol doesn't have the fire power of straight gas, and it would be interesting to see if full strength gas would make a difference.

Normally, I believe that the ethanol mandate is all or nothing. Correct me if there are exceptions to this. 10% ethanol is a very common formulation around the country now.

The exception around here (MN) is that premium fuel (92 octane) designed for use in small engines does not legally have to contain ethanol or oxygenates. But you're not supposed to run it in automobiles and trucks and the extra money you'd fork out for the premium grade fuel would negate the savings in gas mileage.

On average, a 10% ethanol concentration results in a gas mileage drop of 3.6%
(source University of Iowa independent research)

Add the ethanol to winter driving which in many parts of the country means longer warm up times, more time in open loop, etc. and a drop of 10% in gas mileage is not at all unusual.

I often find 87 octane at BPs. I see no drop in mileage between E10 and regular fuel. The Ethanol increases the octane rating which allows the engine to use more advance.

In the 80's most every car I had (Ford Courier, Renault LeCar, Ford F150) loved E10, but that was before they downgraded the base fuel so that instead of ending up with 91 octane, you now end up with 87 to 89 octane.

Right now, it's winter. What I like about E10 is that I no longer have to add HEAT to my fuel, it's built in :D

Ron

Most, but not all, the Shell stations down here sell 'real' gas (no ethanol). You might try a Shell station if you have them up there.

It can vary by state. Oregon mandates E10 in all fuels. I have seen as much as 30% drop in MPG with E10. 20% is not uncommon. Theoretical calculation often omit other variables. Real milage can vary significantly.

Back