• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who's using the RunCool hood vents?

TheSandman

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to figure out what hood vents I want to get for the jeep. I like the RunCool's because they're aluminum look pretty cool. Only problem I see with them is maybe not enough vents? I plan on getting the medium high flow vents which have 14 slots.

It's either these or LeBaron vents, only thing I don't like about the LeBaron vents is they're fiberglass, but they have a lot slots so it would seem like they would cool better.

Comments?

Lumina Z34 vents work nicely and they are steel.

yeah but you could mount the the other way I guess, It was just a suggestion. HAve you thought about making vents in the existing hood of your own design. There are a couple guys who have done it recently and they turned out great. One guy even made magnetic covers for his.

Last edited:
yeah but you could mount the the other way I guess, It was just a suggestion. HAve you thought about making vents in the existing hood of your own design. There are a couple guys who have done it recently and they turned out great. One guy even made magnetic covers for his.

I was actually trying to find someone local who has a louver press, I'd get my whole hood done.

I'd rather just cut and paste if you know what I mean.

I was actually trying to find someone local who has a louver press, I'd get my whole hood done.

I'd rather just cut and paste if you know what I mean.

Oh louvers would be cool, I hear ya on the cut and paste but its the custom touches that make a vehicle your own.

You can get some made up for a quater of the price look around your area for a hot rod shop they can make them out of sheet metal or put them in your hood which is what i would have done if i did not already have the cut outs from my old vents

I ran the gen-rights on my last Xj, and they worked well, you could see the steam on my windshield on cold days. On my current XJ, I spaced the hood hinges by 3/4 inch, just using washers, and it does even better; it lifts the back of the hood open by 3/4 inches all the way across and lets air flow thru, and no water can come in where it can wet out anything.

This does not lower the temperature of the engine at all, but it does lower your under hood temp, which helps support a cool-air system somewhat, and helps as well when you are doing long idle periods such as rock crawling. If you go with the vents, consider placement just to the rear of and over the Throttle body to lower the temp there.

I don't have the run cool but have aluminum panels that are louvered real close. They work great you can see the heat come out of them.
DSC_0218.JPG

Yeah I thought about spacing the hood out too. I just like the style of the RunCool's.

There is a local hot rod shop, I might check with them and see what they can do.

I also looked into the gen rights, they look kinda goofy. I may just cheap out and go with the LeBaron vents

ry%3D480

I didn't like the price, but I think they look awesome. I've gotten more comments on them than anything else on the Jeep. Most people can't believe I actually cut big holes in my hood.

They definitely work. I can see heat pouring out of them while sitting still. Absolutely no issues with water, and I've driven in hard rain as well as had a foot of snow on the jeep.

They do look good, but those slots are big, I don't want to run drip pan's. The install pics show you with the drip pans, are you still running them?

i initially ran the drip pans but i took them off to thread the drip pan mounting studs and i havent put them back on. the heat just pours out of those hood vents.

This might be a little dated since the last post was Aug 2010, but a couple of weeks ago I installed the Runcool hood louvers on my XJ (I don't have pictures, but if you look on page 1 at Sunburned's XJ, mine is identical and looks like we have them installed in the same place).

Anyway, my observations:
I am living in Haiti where it's pretty da#n hot and a couple of hours in traffic is the norm.

I got the medium size powder coated black ones, (not the "High Flow" model).

Pro's:
-Excellent quality (I used to be an aircraft mechanic and I would even say they were aircraft quality)

-Very good installation instructions

-Kit includes almost everything you need including rivets (and extras) and the correct size drill bit. Basically all you need to provide is the tape, cutting tool, pop rivet squeezer and maybe a Sharpie marker)

-Lowered underhood temperatures dramatically. The site quotes 47 deg drop and that's pretty ballpark for all the places in my engine bay that I measured before and after)
-They look awesome. I was a little afraid :phone:they'd look ghetto with the pop rivets, but they actually look really great.

-Water intrusion is NOT an issue. My XJ gets pressure washed every day to get the grunge off it and when I open the hood, nothing's wet

Cons:
- Although they are a class product; come on guys, they ARE overpriced by at least 30%. However since the Pro's vastly outweigh the cons to me, I WILL install them on my 99 XJ when I get home.

PERSONAL installation suggestions:
-READ the instructions
-I found it much easier to remove the hood to do the job.
-The instructions tell you to tape the louver in place while drilling the holes, however, if you have access to a set of Cleco fasteners (1/8 inch), it will ensure the darn thing doesn't move when you're drilling once you've got a few holes drilled. By the time you get around near the end, the tape may NOT have kept the louver in place, (well enough for my taste anyways). The last thing you want is to get to the last rivet and realize that the thing has shifted a little with each hole you drilled (there are a lot of holes to drill). If you DO NOT have access to Cleco's, you could drill the four corners and use small screws to keep it aligned while you finish. I don't suggest tacking it down with rivets to hold it in place because you'll want to paint over the bare metal after all the holes are drilled and before you go to final install. Having said all this, USE THE TAPE TOO in addition to whether you have Cleco's or use screws. In my opinion, there's no such thing as TOO much accuracy when drilling for the rivets.

Hope this helps.

EC

Back