• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd swap

alfredsxj

NAXJA Forum User
ok guys heres the scoope... ive got a 98 cherokee, 4.0, auto 2wd. im swaping to 4wd, i allready ahve my 30hp, with 4:10 gears, my rear has 4:10 aswell. my question to you is what trans can i run? is it just the 97 and up or can a run a older trans aswell?

For the tranny sticking with a AW4 97+ will avoid having to deal with the fact that the tranny sensors changed in 97. An older tranny will not work with the trans computer as it will be missing the front input speed sensor.

For ease of Install just get a tranny/TC from a 97+ XJ. Shouldn't be that hard, and the conversion is a breeze. I completed the conversion on my 1996 in one weekend by myself, if you have another set of hands you can easily have it done in one day.

Good luck

Do the same rules apply for Tranny Sensor's for a 2WD '95?

Would any '91-'96 4WD Donor Rig work for my swap?

Not trying to Hijack this thread... i think we're still on the same topic???

front imput speed sencor? the speed sencor, thats in the t case isnt it?

In 98, an input speed sensor was added to the AW4. It's on the drivers side, mid-way up near the bellhousing. There is a rear output sensor that goes to the trans computers as well. Those are used for determining shift points.

In a 4wd setup, there is a vehicle speed sensor in the xfr case for the engine computer and speedometer.

ok so what about a adapter to run a tcase on hte back of my 2wd trans? i went to all the local junk yards and there not to be found. its kinda gay driving a 2wd jeep with a locked rear on 33s...

ok so what about a adapter to run a tcase on hte back of my 2wd trans? i went to all the local junk yards and there not to be found. its kinda gay driving a 2wd jeep with a locked rear on 33s...

It's called a 4wd version of the tranny. There is no adapter. Well technically the back part of the casing is called the adapter, but the output shaft is different and swapping that is a near complete tear down. In short, you need to swap trannies.

I probably wouldn't be happy driving a 2wd myself, but if you think its kinda happy and gay, well I dunno.

In 98, an input speed sensor was added to the AW4. It's on the drivers side, mid-way up near the bellhousing. There is a rear output sensor that goes to the trans computers as well. Those are used for determining shift points.

In a 4wd setup, there is a vehicle speed sensor in the xfr case for the engine computer and speedometer.

So in order to make this work you'll need a new harness from a 4wd model and or a new computer or can i use the sensor on the xfew case. if i can where will it connect?

Thanks
Dave

offtopic, but do you own a white XJ? were you featured on the news being stuck during that big snowstorm recently...?

nah we dont get that much snow here in va, haha but i was recentley stuck on ice lol

l_002ca2dd8336492d9196a65b5d35213e.jpg

l_0287ce4f119c49ffa2b6400f440212b9.jpg

l_d1e782ac5378428eb119f4ae53520309.jpg

l_af89af7917d24872845ca3da8009e1e2.jpg

It's called a 4wd version of the tranny. There is no adapter. Well technically the back part of the casing is called the adapter, but the output shaft is different and swapping that is a near complete tear down. In short, you need to swap trannies.

I probably wouldn't be happy driving a 2wd myself, but if you think its kinda happy and gay, well I dunno.

by adapter i ment like a mounting plate or something like that. i work at a machine shop, we make brackets and mounting flanges for pumps and motors all the time so getting it fabed up isnt nothing specal, but being that the shafts are different its a whole new ball game.

you might do well to buy a wrecked jeep for parts. the last one i bought for a motor swap i drove home for $175, but it had been rolled, and the roof had been cut off.

So in order to make this work you'll need a new harness from a 4wd model and or a new computer or can i use the sensor on the xfew case. if i can where will it connect?

Thanks
Dave

No difference in the trans computer, or I suspect the wiring harness. The sensor in the xfer case is just for the speedo and engine computer. The 4wd tranny will have a speed sensor in the front, and an output speed sensor.

correct me if im wrong... the older style (pre 96) trans are vacume operated right? if so then i could just hook up a vacume source then itl shift right? will the jeep run with out the front sencor hooked up?

sorry bro, but wrong. even the 87 aw4 had a transmission control module, but it was separate from the engine controls, unlike the newer ones that ran on one system together with the engine.

sorry bro, but wrong. even the 87 aw4 had a transmission control module, but it was separate from the engine controls, unlike the newer ones that ran on one system together with the engine.

Close. The trans computer was always separate, although it did move from the passenger side to the drivers side of the dash i

so if i put a 96 trans in my 98 what will happen? it wont shift... right?

Well, for starters it would shift at rpms 4x higher than it should. You'd also get a check engine light due to the trans computer setting codes.

Honestly, go find a 98+ tranny and be done with it.

Back