• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof rack MPG ?

Mike Mike

NAXJA Forum User
Going to build a roof rack. Thinking 3/4in. 16ga square tube. but before I draw it up, any thoughts on round Vs square, open front or one with solid angled front as far as MPGs.
Yes I understand We drive a square brick on wheels. just want minimize the racks impact when its empty.

I can only relate this to the spare tire on top of my '98 XJ. When I removed the full-size spare 33x12.5 my gas mileage went up 3-4mpg. I track the mileage on every tank and this has been consistent. So, based upon my (limited?) experience, I would suggest keeping the front as open as possible.
Just my .o2, DougN

I hear ya about having a tire up there. I put a little two piece gutter mount rack on and lost 2 mpg. Should have seen it with a 12 ft boat on it. dropped to 15 mpg

I dont even have the stock bars on top of my Heep and its not because of mileage. I like to keep a low COG due to the off-camber situations that I get into with it. Also the trees on all of our trails are so low and tight that a roof rack would most likely get ripped off. I keep my 35" spare on the pass side rear seat area laying flat(rear seat removed) strapped down to the seat belt mounting holes .and my tool/spare parts box is in the back.

I can only relate this to the spare tire on top of my '98 XJ. When I removed the full-size spare 33x12.5 my gas mileage went up 3-4mpg. I track the mileage on every tank and this has been consistent. So, based upon my (limited?) experience, I would suggest keeping the front as open as possible.
Just my .o2, DougN

Did you notice the increase by moving the spare to the roof or removing it completely from your Jeep?

yakima rack dropped mine 3-4 mpg on wj

Interesting. .

E

The above info seems correct.

I surf a lot, and when we put the boards up top, I lose about 1-2 mpg.

Recently, I did a road trip to the bay area, with a soft, roof top carrier. That, plus 3 passengers and tons of gear, I averaged about 13 mpg for a 300 mile trip. My usual is 17-18 freeway. 3.55's, 31's.

this topic makes me want to remove my factory rack lol. i get an est. 19mpg with my 33's on 3.55's crusing... im thinkin maybe i could pull a 20mpg trip if i remove my factory rack. and all its really doing is sitting there, everything for me usually goes into the cab.

Have you corrected for the fact that your odo is now way off? I know I wasn't gettin no 19 wit 33s on stock gears. My best ever was 22 with 235s and stock gears. With 30s I got 20 once. With 33s and correct gearing, I am now averaging 15-17.

What got me started on this is my wifes 89 aw4 with factory roof rack gets 20-21 on freeway. My 94 5spd no roof rack gets 23-24 on freeway. i know you loose some to the automatic. but wonder how much to the rack.

I trained a large rack down south, lost maybe a .5-.75mpg unloaded.

Have you corrected for the fact that your odo is now way off? I know I wasn't gettin no 19 wit 33s on stock gears. My best ever was 22 with 235s and stock gears. With 30s I got 20 once. With 33s and correct gearing, I am now averaging 15-17.

im running 33x 10.50's and i used my GPS for mileage. so my mileage was pretty accurate.

I noticed the loss in mpg on my '98 XJ when I moved the spare onto a TJ spare tire bracket mounted to the oem luggage rack. The spare was up there for a couple years. I started driving more for work so moved the spare back into the cab and gained back 3-4 mpg. The XJ was my DD then and I tracked the mileage on every tank.
hth, DN

I've taken my factory bars off hoping to eek out a little more mileage, and I have a hitch basket for carrying extra junk. I want to get a front hitch so I can put it on the front too.

I put a solid angled front on mine, it got rid of all the drag i used to feel and milage went up a few mpg.

4198850860_595f821002_b.jpg

I guess I'll be the odd one out here and say I didn't notice any difference when I removed my giant Garvin Wilderness rack w/ 33" spare and 4 lights. '99 w/ 4.5" lift, 33's geared 4.56 and moderate armor. 16 actual mpg hwy.

Back