• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drum brake heats up!

tj'sxj

NAXJA Forum User
so i had ALL new drums, pads, linkage, springs ect.. put on my 90 xj, i have had it back to the shop that did the install 4 damn times and these guys cant seem to figure out nomatter what they do, why is it that my passenger side is getting warmed up and the driver side stays just as cool as ever? they have done all kinds of adjustments, fixed bent rod's, cleaned pads and even checked drums to see they are round!
Anyone had anything like this happen, theres not much drag to even feel it, but its a diff of touch i can notice (dont ask how i figured out this was happening)! drive yours and then just go touch both sides and see what ya feel!! please help if ya can. thanks TJ

im thinking maybe the driver side tube itself is clogged and the only brake providing pressure is the passenger side. and thats why its heating up all the while the other is staying cool... i would bleed the brakes and make sure your getting good flow to the driver side... i'd also make sure the driver side even works. the stuff inside it might be froze up yanno?

Check and/or replace the wheel cylinder/s. Could be a sticky piston that keep the break shoes expanded in the drum.

their are two different choices for pads and harware on an xj. dana 35 and corporate 8.25. verify that your shop put the right brakes on the right rear axle! mike

make sure the self adjusters are for the correct side as well. A left side adjuster on the right side (or vice versa) will cause one side to adjust and not the other. I'm assuming that with four trips to the shop, they've quadruple checked this stuff, you'll never know for sure without checking yourself. Pull the adjusters (should be easy since they're new) and take them apart. On the end of the threaded portion, there will be a "L" (drivers side) or a "R" (passengers side) cast into the adjuster.

thanks to all, did a check of all again and I also got a second opinion from another shop, they checked pistons and everything you guys said, even my fliud and fluid flow to both sides and reset the adjuster and told me to let them just let them get broke in a bit! we will see!, thanks againTJ

Back