• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help choosing tyre for wifes daily driver

AussieDave

NAXJA Forum User
the xj is the wifes DD with the kids. We have 33 swampers on beadlocked rims for the tracks so i want a more road biased tyre (and summer tyre) for her to use every day.

the xj has 4.5" lift and has 4.56 ratios and dual lockers.

Which tyre would have safer/better road handling for the wife.

33x10.5 BFG all Terrain
32x11.5 BFG all Terrain
31x10.5 BFG all Terrain <----would this set up be horrible with my ratios?

currently running on 33 goodyear mtr's but i want something that handles better.

any suggestions?

i'm open to other brand tyres too.

I would stick with the 33's myself! That way your guages won't be off when running your all terrains!

Last edited:
BFG A/T's are great! I would go with 33's. My friend has 4.56's on 32's and he gets 12mpg. He's upgrading to 33's soon. I bet you'll still have plenty of torque.

My experience with BFG A/Ts has not been very positive. They do not have very good wet weather traction. My current tread is dual purpose both trail and road so I'm running GY Duratrac tread. They are very good but more on the agressive end of all terrains. For strictly street use, especially since you have dedicated trail tires I would look into something like GY Fortera tires, Toyo A/Ts, and the list goes on. I also have 4.56 gears and have used anything from 31s to 35s before settling on the 33s for best all around tire, especially for street. I found the 31s too busy, and 35 too tall. If anything I'd get a skinnier tire for less rolling resistance. Lower weight rating tires will also ride better. You might be able to find P rated tires and though not as strong as truck tires LTs they will be guaranteed to be more confortable.

My fave A/T tire is the bridgestone Dueler A/T REVO the 695's are great as well.. then come.. Dayton Timberline A/T's, Cooper STT's,

the xj is the wifes DD with the kids. We have 33 swampers on beadlocked rims for the tracks so i want a more road biased tyre (and summer tyre) for her to use every day.

the xj has 4.5" lift and has 4.56 ratios and dual lockers.

Which tyre would have safer/better road handling for the wife.

33x10.5 BFG all Terrain
32x11.5 BFG all Terrain
31x10.5 BFG all Terrain <----would this set up be horrible with my ratios?

currently running on 33 goodyear mtr's but i want something that handles better.

You want something that handles better? On an XJ? A lifted XJ?

Have you considered a Toyota Camry?

You want something that handles better? On an XJ? A lifted XJ?

Have you considered a Toyota Camry?

hahaha.....:doh:

dude go with 33's and as far as tires go....bfg the situation they wont let you down' and they will get your wife home safely as long as she drives the jeep like a jeep not a sports car or a .....Toyota Camry:looney:

Ive had great luck with BFG MT but havent ran their AT. I am currently running a set of Goodyear MTR on my 97XJ with 5 inches of lift and i havent ran a better all around tire. Slightly loose on wet roads if im driven like a maniac but that was just one time.:) Ive had em on since last winter and love em. They almost take the fun out of playing in the snow in 2wd. Mine are 285/75 16 (33x11.50).

how bout a set of Firestone Destination A/T in 33x10.5, should be a great DD street, and good footprint on the occasional offroading. If you still have stock rims they would mount right up so you can just swap the 2 sets at whim...

If she's going to be driving streets in mixed weather, my advice is get some 33" pickup truck tires, something like a General Grabber or a Firestone Silent Armor, and save the off-road tires for when you're actually going off-road. The BFG A/T tires are absolute crap for wet weather street tires

I have BFG's on both of my XJs and I like their performance on and off the trail in every condition with the exception of cornering on rainy, wet roads. You got wet roads in Oz?

I typically air them down to 14 psi and they grip rocks very well. Fairly quiet highway ride, never a problem in snow, and good all 'round performance. They seem to take good abuse as well.

another vote for BFG A/T

go with 33x12.50 if you can, it looks way more badass than 33x10.50 ;)

Just bought a set of these 31x10.50's for my wife's exploder. Looks like they come in 33x12.50's also. They are made in the USA by Cooper tires, they ride great, low noise, balanced good, and were cheaper than comparable name brand A/T's. I've run several different All Terrains on various vehicles, and by far the most superior is a Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo, but you will pay a lot for that Revo. I went with these Wild Country's because they were similiar in tread design to the Revo's, but much cheaper.

http://www.fiveseasonstire.com/wild_country_xtx.htm

another vote for BFG A/T

go with 33x12.50 if you can, it looks way more badass than 33x10.50 ;)

Problem is Looks badass = not that good for DD, add in the part where he states that his wife will drive it with kids, and that he already has BA offroad tires to switch on when he wants to and the answer is obvious...

The best DD tire I ever had, as well as on snow and ice is the Michelin LT series. It comes in 32X12.5X15 size. Lasts forever and is the safest tire you can have on the road.

I've been running BFG Radial T/A KO's for the last 22,000 miles, and they still have the little rubber "stubs" sticking up off the tread -- that is how little they have worn. Some claim to have gotten 70K miles of life out of them. I've never encountered a better tire for snow or rain (they are rated for extreme snow duty, which may not be consideration where you live.)

Back