• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Hidden Winch Build

offrd3

NAXJA Forum User
So I built my hidden winch about a year ago for a design class in collage and never got around to sharing it with everyone.

I always thought the hidden winch setups on the late 80's jeeps were cool or the warn kit. After much looking and reading about them I came to the conclusion that it would be impossible to find one.

hiddenwinch.jpg

Plus the way the bumper was moved out it would not work with the later style end caps that are also part of the fender flare that are on my 98.

So I set out to make my own setup that would retain the stock appearance. I used a 5,500 pound winch from harbor freight with a generic winch plate and proceeded to modify it. I mounted the solenoid box up in the engine compartment so it would stay nice and dry.

So here is my picture story

P1030155.jpg

P1030164.jpg

P1030162.jpg

P1030175.jpg

P1030195.jpg

P1030196.jpg

P1030197.jpg

P1030222.jpg

P1030223.jpg

P1030255.jpg

P1030262.jpg

P1030259.jpg

P1030260.jpg

if/when you goto synth line and use a hawse fairlead it should look even better,

good work

if/when you goto synth line and use a hawse fairlead it should look even better,

good work

Synthetic is the only way to go, of course I might be slightly biased.

The bumper looks good, if you had cut the front cross member and recessed the winch into it then braced everything else it would have been awesome.

-Alex

Yikes! If you use a popcicle stick you can get the JB Weld to flow out better!

i dont like it.

i love it

Thank you I’m glad you all like it, I'm very happy with it. I agree about the synthetic rope with a hawse would look better I'm going to replace it when something happens to the cable. Yeah my welds didn't look pretty back then I was still learning, they have gotten much better since.

I think a little larger support on the sides would have been better and a biggere winch. But the end results is supper clean. Really nice job. I may have to do this on my next XJ :D

that is a great job

Yikes! If you use a popcicle stick you can get the JB Weld to flow out better!

the grade 5 bolts are a nice touch too.

its a great idea and a sleek look, but it needs to be built better. id like to see some more supports for that winch tray and better frame brackets. im diggin how the the 97+ bumper caps hide the look of the extend area in the middle.

Pretty cool.

Did you consider running the extended part of the bumper out to where the end caps hit the bumper?

the grade 5 bolts are a nice touch too.

I used whatever i had around when i was mocking it all up and when i put everything together for the last time i used all grade 8 hardware.

Did you consider running the extended part of the bumper out to where the end caps hit the bumper?

I did consider running the extended part the whole way but felt that by leaving some of the bumper at its original location gave it more of a factory appearance. It also left a protected place for the winch controller hookup.

Back