• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead console

87m6chris

NAXJA Forum User
The xj I'm restoring right now is a 95/sport, 4.0L bone stock.
The parts car is a 92/4.0L with kinds of interior goodies that I want to transfer over to the 95. The 92 has the overhead console with the 4 lights, sunglasses storage and LED compass, Is there a way of installing that console in the 95 without replacing the ECU?
Thanks,
Chris

Yes, it's easy. Bolt-in in fact. I did it on mine - OHC came from a 94 Limited and went into a 96 Sport.

I've made a few posts detailing the parts you will need to pull and the exact install, let me see if I can find one of them... the only thing I would add is that since your OHC is coming out of a 92 and going in a 95, a single connector under the hood where you plug the temp sensor extension cable and sensor into may not match exactly, but it's an easy fix, just cut both connectors off and throw some crimp-in butt splices there instead. Getting the two wires swapped doesn't even matter since it's a resistive temp sensor anyways.

EDIT:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=77589 is one great thread on the subject. Kinda long but has most of the info you will need.

Parts you'll want:
* OHC itself obviously!
* wiring harness that goes up the passenger side A-pillar. You will need to pull the glovebox cover, some screws on the dash around it, three or four screws along the top edge of the bottom half of the dashboard, the passenger kick panel, and the A-pillar trim itself to install this. If you have lighted mirrors on your sun visors or think you might ever want to install them you will also need to pull the driver side A-pillar trim down so that you can install the new pink wire to the driver side visor mount point, otherwise you can be lazy and just cut it off of the new harness (or I guess cut the old one then splice the new one in if you had RKE or a dome light previously)
* temp sensor + bracket behind front bumper
* cable going from temp sensor to wiring harness, joins engine harness under the PDC
* front mounting bracket for OHC
* rear mounting bracket for OHC

You may also need the wiring harness that goes across the cabin under the carpet in front of the front seats (I've called it the cross-body wiring harness in a few posts, not sure that's the actual name) if the rig you're putting the OHC in does not have power locks/windows/something in the first place. We ran into this issue when we did the OHC install in mini=man's XJ, had to run some custom wires as we did not have the required wiring harness on hand. Ended up working just as well though.

EDIT2: oh yeah. When removing the OHC from the donor rig, unscrew the single screw at the front of the OHC, then slide the whole unit about an inch back to disengage it from the front bracket, then pull it down slightly and slide it forward again to disengage from the rear bracket.

Last edited:
Back