• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water In Oil

89XJPioneer

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I have an 89 XJ 4.0 auto checked the oil today and noticed it to be milky on the lower end of the dipstick which caught my eye... I do have an exhaust leak so Im thinking could be an intake gasket... however no white smoke..... Still have plenty of power though... Also have a leaky rms or oil pan gasket... could water have gotten in there? I have done some snow wheelin..
Im going to change the oil now and see if it re appears if it does I guess a leak down test is in order if I have access to it... I currently do have a leaky rad too so I cant test the cooling system until i change that...

yup, unless you are getting that engine up to normal operating temp, and running it there for a while, the moisture in the crankcase just condenses back to water, and at that point mixes with the oil deposits and creates corrosive sulphur compounds, which will attack your bearings, seals and reak havoc in general if left unchecked. this is yet another reason we change our oil on a calendar time basis if we do not reach the miles to next change

A little moisture may not be unusual but there is a very fine line on what constitutes a "little".

*How many miles on the current oil?
*Short trips or highway driving?
*Are you seeing any coolant use via the coolant reservoir? (this is a BIG clue)

If you're losing coolant and have milky residue, then testing is in order. As you mentioned, the leakdown test is really the gold standard here. Other tests that can be helpful include the cooling system pressure test, compression test, block test (sniffing coolant for presence of hydrocarbons).

Im neering my 3k mile mark and just bought oil and a filter to change it tommorow, I do mixed driving but do about 60-100 miles a day 3/4 of that being highway to and from school. Truck only has 99k on it but is going to need some attention.. I cannot go by loss of coolant due to the fact that my radiator leaks however I have constanly checked my oil and am seeing less milky oil as today went on.
When I Pull the dipstick not all the oil is milky only the very very bottom of the dipstick, you can see its still separated a bit and the rest of the oil on it is brown not black yet.. I have a severe oil leak from my rms, I lose about a quart very 2 days and just simply havent had down time to fix it.
Im going to change the oil tommorow and see what happends Ill keep you guys post Thanks

Im neering my 3k mile mark and just bought oil and a filter to change it tommorow, I do mixed driving but do about 60-100 miles a day 3/4 of that being highway to and from school. Truck only has 99k on it but is going to need some attention.. I cannot go by loss of coolant due to the fact that my radiator leaks however I have constanly checked my oil and am seeing less milky oil as today went on.
When I Pull the dipstick not all the oil is milky only the very very bottom of the dipstick, you can see its still separated a bit and the rest of the oil on it is brown not black yet.. I have a severe oil leak from my rms, I lose about a quart very 2 days and just simply havent had down time to fix it.
Im going to change the oil tommorow and see what happends Ill keep you guys post Thanks

make sure the rear ccv line on the rear of the valve cover is not plugged up. where ccv line goes into the rear grommet can get plugged with oil and needs to be cleared.

check the air intake and filter for the milky oil also. a sure sign of a glogged ccv system is oil on the air filter.

1 quart every 2 days is a big leak and it could be from excessive crankcase pressure from a clogged ccv system.

Just changed the oil to find NO WATER! guess like mention there was a small amount from the ccv? which the line was fine but the grommet is shot and couldve been blocking it... Im so relieved

Mine does the same thing. I thought it was a coolant issue. I notice it does it whenever I drive through alof water or any kind of moist terrain. I think i need a pan gasket. Anyway, I just change the oil whenever it looks milky. Even if it means changing it every few hundred miles. I beat the shit out of mine though, go "muddin" on a regular basis. I just put the cheap in it, its like 12 bucks to change the oil.

Back