• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cold air intake something new

Dobbs

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at cold air intakes on the web. the standard type with k&n filter with a cover around it. The cold air thru the cowl type. then I ran on a thru the fender mod seen on a fu Mustangs was looking at the stock air box and this would be verry ease to do and the interfender panel would keep water out .I know this mod would be ploblem on one if you were crossing deep water but on a DD I cant see any ploblems.looked at the stock air box has about 6 sq" area of intake if you cut a 4 " hole with a tube into the fender would would have about 12 1/2 " of area .Let me know what you guys think about this mod.

i dont get it completely, but i thought about removing my lid completly putting a aluminum tubing inside my intake tube, then clamping a filter onto that... but i think a drop in K&N filter would be more reliable and just as efficient.

From what I read a hole is cut in the side of the air box next to the fender then one in the inter fender next to the air box and a tube installed from the airbox into the inside of the fender .The outer fender panel behind the tire or splash sheld as some times called keeps dirt and water splash from getting picked up.the air is picked up between the inside fender and the splash sheld.

so, cut a hole in the air box, next to that cut a hole in your inner fender. then run a tube to basically where the horns are... right? ok, well my horns got soaked and ruined from water/mud recently. also anything going inside that fender will get ripped off by the tire im sure... i dont think that would be as good of an idea as say maybe running a tube from the stock air box hole in the front and out thru the front grille.

I can't form a mental image of what you guys are talking about, sucking your air from the fenderwell?

From between the fender and the outer fender sheild. if you look at the tire behind it you see a plastic sheild covering the wheel opening. then look at the engine compartment beside the air box.there is a compartment that the air is picked up from .

on my 2000 the windshield washer fluid bottle is in that space you speak of. and i think the 2x3 hole from factory is efficient enough i plan on getting a better drop in air filter eventually

I think every one is confussed of where I am talking about. when you poen the hood and look at the stock air box.you will see that it sets along side the inter fender panel there is some wiring lums and some later modles have relays along there . this is where I am talking about. There is a place between that panel and the outer splash sheild behind the tire.

right so your just going to take a tube through the fender into the wheel well to suck cold fresh air. close off the original hole and add a less restrictive air filter.

i think as long as your avoiding puddles like you have to do with imports that have that style intake you would be fine. but i would leave the filter in the box instead of putting it in the fender. you are going to get way too much gunk on it and i would think the box could help keep some water out of the intake.

for a jeep i don't think this style intake is worth the problems it might bring. for instance this recent snow just driving around my front wheel well is caked with ice and snow and i was only on the road. you could block you inlet very easily

it sounds like an easy mod so if you do it post some pics

maybe at the top rear of the fender by the cowl, the factory wheel skirt will protect it if you still have one, or you put a plastic plate under it to protect from junk. hard part there is getting past the booster, maybe run a flex hose from the air box along the top of the outer fender with a cone filter in the box

I don't think it's going to work the way you want it to for one major reason. The ECM mounts to the inner fender in the space that you're talking about. So you're not going to be able to get a big enough hole in the side of the airbox and the inner fender as you think you are which would not gain anything. Plus on later models inside the fender well between the inner and outer fenders is where the windshield washer fluid reservoir mounts taking up almost all the space in there.

just take the lid off run the walls vertical to match the slope of the hood with some door seals on it and put a louver on the hood open to the box easiest way to get cold air add a scoop and you have ram air. if you do it right it could look really good.

So you want to get rid of your factory cold air intake to add a cold air intake in the fender?

go look at where your intake sucks air now. The only reason to touch if is if you require a snorkel.

One that fits! :D

lol ok... so i was rushed typing that, what i meant was... whats a good drop in air filter that is reuseable... i only know of K&N... is there any others? maybe AEM or AFE or something?

For the price you pay for a k&n filter plus the cleaner and the re-oiling products you can run regular filters without any problem. The K&N filters don't really give any gain in power or anything other than being able to say that you've got one.

i found the filter i'll prolly buy, its the AEM dry flow drop in air filter... i have one on my civic, i hardly ever clean it... this brand has been good to me... SIDE NOTE, anyone think that if i got like a legging sock(panty hose in sock form) and wrapped it over the stock square hole... if it would act as a pre filter?

Back