• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone had disks installed longterm?

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
Curious if your still happy with them? Im tired of readjusting my drums. They work fine if theyre adjusted right, but a week later they are back to a low pedal and wont lock in snow. I priced out new drums, shoes and hardware and its close to $150. For that price i could get some rotors, pads and some junkyard parts and have rear disks that actually work all the time.

No, I think you would be the first to ever do this. Please report back with your long term findings. I'm sure your information would be a great help in the future to those that use the search feature here on NAXJA.

:wave:

No, I think you would be the first to ever do this. Please report back with your long term findings. I'm sure your information would be a great help in the future to those that use the search feature here on NAXJA.

:wave:

lollies

I love mine, I've got about 600 miles on em.

Im just working out the kinks, so they aren't perfect.

2 years, had some problems with brake line connections (because I cheaped out in the first place)
No regrets. It stops real fast with cheap parts.

I have had my disc brake 8.8 in for about 5 years now. The disc brakes are one of the best mods I have done.

I wasnt asking if people liked it, I was trying to see the replys like above. People running them for 5 years and theyre still working fine. Thats what I was curious about.

Drums are great too for the first two weeks. then they suck, so if I did a writeup id be really impressed with them at first, then dissapointed later.

6 months on my they are great

60 buck in parts from the junkyard

Time for me to go rob a couple liberty's of rear brakes for my 8.25's!

Drums are great too for the first two weeks. then they suck, so if I did a writeup id be really impressed with them at first, then dissapointed later.

If you're getting two weeks of performance from your drum brakes, you're doing something wrong.

Drum brakes have been around for 107 years (I have spare time) and were the primary means of stopping everything from cars to semi-trucks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_brake

You need to take a look at your process and figure out what you're doing wrong, because you're doing something wrong when you install/adjust/replace. There are lots of vehicles on the road with adequate stopping power using drum brakes.

Discs are an awesome upgrade. Don't hesitate. But if you don't have the cash or the time, you can make what you have work just fine if you figure out the right way to do things.

The only complaint I would have is the tiny E-brake shoes that won't hold some big tires on a hill. I had disc brakes for 2 years on my old jeep and thats the only reason I won't switch from drum brakes on the 2000 I bought.

The only complaint I would have is the tiny E-brake shoes that won't hold some big tires on a hill. I had disc brakes for 2 years on my old jeep and thats the only reason I won't switch from drum brakes on the 2000 I bought.

That is a big point in favor of drum brakes. On my Crown Vic, with the little built in drums for e-brakes, the e-brake won't hold shit. And our XJ's have the nice handbrake set-up. This is extra important if you have a manual trans for getting going on a hill.

Don't get me wrong, disks are great for maintenance and high speed road use. For off road, they are a negative. If you can lock up your rear wheels, you don't need more "stopping power". :clap:

That is a big point in favor of drum brakes. On my Crown Vic, with the little built in drums for e-brakes, the e-brake won't hold shit. And our XJ's have the nice handbrake set-up. This is extra important if you have a manual trans for getting going on a hill.

Don't get me wrong, disks are great for maintenance and high speed road use. For off road, they are a negative. If you can lock up your rear wheels, you don't need more "stopping power". :clap:

Dude my rear drums were garbage(yes they were replaced about a year and a half ago). I couldn't lock up a tire on my 97 with drums as hard as i tried before I nailed that Benz! :D

For off road, they are a negative. If you can lock up your rear wheels, you don't need more "stopping power". :clap:

i dissagree. theres more reasons to do it then just 'stopping power', maintenance, cool factor, and resistance to getting filled w/ mud/water come to the top of my list! drums are wack.... if you like em, take em! i want nothing to do w/ them!

back on ops topic, been running them 2 years on my jeep, so far, so great! friends have identical cv setups and love em as well. we have ran into wheel bearing seal leaks, but mostly on the first d44 we build w/ discs (my first axle assembly). the 2nd only leaked once, and my third axle has never leaked there, so i consider it a learning curve.

i wouldnt want to do disc's over the weekend, on the DD. but if you 'build' an axle, on the workbench, and DONT put discs on it.... well thats just stupid. of course, its possible to do it over a weekend, but i took my time, and am glad i did.

Back