• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What seat mods or seat transplants have you done

sotrhRaven

NAXJA Forum User
I found a how to putting late model mustang seats in a CJ or YJ. Has anyone put seats from another vehicle in their XJ. I am looking to replace my front seats but don't have the cash for new aftermarket seats. Pics would be awesome. Also any seat mods would be great too.

Ben
1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport L6 4.0 RWD:wantyou:

I put seats from an S-10 Blazer in mine (write-up here). The hump in the floorboard for the transfer case is a real problem. You need to use seats with a narrow bottom in order to clear it.

driver_hump.sized.jpg

Since my seats don't have a narrow bottom, I had to pound a crease into the hump to get a little more room, and they still sit up kind of high. You can see the drivers side is a little higher in this pic

Limited_Country_Interior_3.sized.jpg

I wish I'd used one of the Grand Cherokee seats, it surely would have been easier to get them fitted.

Also having to make custom brackets is extremely difficult. 3D geometry is not fun at all. You have the floorboard slopes down at the front, and also has a crown from the hump, so the plane is completely different angle and slope at all four corners. And the floorpan is thin so it bends when you sit on it, meaning you have to project for the deflection to end up with a level seat when you are in it. I've remade the drivers brackets about 4 times and it sill has a slight tilt to the outside edge when I sit in it.

The Fox body Mustang seats are a great swap for the 2-door XJs--they mount easily and flip forward like the originals.

I have a 2-door, but never haul adults in the back so I just grabbed a pair of front seats for my 1990 from a 1988 4-door--kind of an upgrade as the pedestals have the "rocker" feature.

I think the change on seat pedestals was 95/96, so the pedestals from a 96+ aren't going to work for you, but you should be able to mount later model seats to yours.

Grand Cherokee seats are a popular upgrade with leather, heated arse, that kind of stuff.

Back