• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Servicing a BA10

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought an 88 MJ with a 5 speed, BA10...don't know squat about the BA10 (other than that they are not the best trans) but what do I have to do to it to keep it healthy (as if). Gear oil? synthetic? weight? Has a new TO bearing is about all I know. I'm servicing all the fluids and beginning the teardown before the build, but that's another thread.

Thanks

Just bought an 88 MJ with a 5 speed, BA10...don't know squat about the BA10 (other than that they are not the best trans) but what do I have to do to it to keep it healthy (as if). Gear oil? synthetic? weight? Has a new TO bearing is about all I know. I'm servicing all the fluids and beginning the teardown before the build, but that's another thread.

Thanks

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

You got it!!

BA10 same-o-same-o AX15--calls for 75w90 gear oil GL-3; you can use synthetic 10w30 motor oil.

and be easy on it, I have read a few people saying reverse is very, very weak. reverse was gone on mine when i bought it.

my service plan? toss it and put in an AX15! :D

and be easy on it, I have read a few people saying reverse is very, very weak. reverse was gone on mine when i bought it.

my service plan? toss it and put in an AX15! :D

Aw, you Peugeot guys are never happy with what you got! :rattle:

Just kidding! :D :D :D

Give it to me, and I can throw an AX-15 in it for you!

Seriously tho, I've been through four of those rotten gearboxes in my 88XJ. All had the same failure - first and second gear on the mainshaft were stripped clean (I found out why in Materials & Processes - the gears are too hard for the application, and therefore brittle. They tested at somewhere around HRC65, and should be down around HRC50 or so.) My driving is somewhat "spirited," but even I took it easy on the damned BA-10s after the first one. The only redeeming quality was that I could pick them up gratis.

The synchroniser rings are aluminum, so using GL-5 gear oil is okeh. In fact, it will probably last longer with GL-5 than with GL-3. (Just don't use GL-5 in an AX-15 or NV3550 when you do the swap, unless it specifically say on the label that it's "Safe for use with yellow metals.")

Synthetic is okeh - but I wouldn't bother unless you're already using the stuff in your axles (the Peugeot gearbox isn't worth spending any money on. The only time it's been useful is when I break it down for scrap metal. That, and cut the input shaft off to make a clutch alignment tool that won't bend.)

The best service plan you can come up with is to start looking for a gearbox to replace it now, so you're not behind the eightball later.

im lucky and still driving my 89 with the ba-10.

i did over heat it when in reverse(pulling a dodge ram out of 15" of snow) once and it spit out some gear oil.

im lucky and still driving my 89 with the ba-10.

i did over heat it when in reverse(pulling a dodge ram out of 15" of snow) once and it spit out some gear oil.

Would that be a pukin' Peugeot? :puke:

When those trannies were new, we had customers complain to me that when cold they were difficult to shift from 1st to 2nd. I contacted my buddies in Chrysler Tech and they told me to tell the customers to skip 2nd gear and go directly to 3rd until the trans warmed up. I just loved doing that........ I'll take a Jap trans over a Frog trans any day.

When those trannies were new, we had customers complain to me that when cold they were difficult to shift from 1st to 2nd. I contacted my buddies in Chrysler Tech and they told me to tell the customers to skip 2nd gear and go directly to 3rd until the trans warmed up. I just loved doing that........ I'll take a Jap trans over a Frog trans any day.

The problem with French transmissions is that they are all based on French Combat Tank designs--one forward gear and 10 reverse!

My sincerest apologies to all of my French friends! :wave1:

The problem with French transmissions is that they are all based on French Combat Tank designs--one forward gear and 10 reverse!

My sincerest apologies to all of my French friends! :wave1:
^^ that's good stuff:D my ba10 lasted 220,000 miles on my old jeep, and i beat on it hard with 33's on the jeep. i ran 85-90w in it, and it was ok, but eventually sounded like an air raid siren, and stuck in 2nd gear at the last moment. when i went to the ax15, it was fine for a couple years, but always grinded a bit goin into 4th. it had 70k on it when i got it, and 20k miles later, i shifted it into 4th and that's where it stayed. no good. i sold the jeep and bought another, and now the old one is in the junkyard :( my buddy took the lift, tires, and axles off of it, and scrapped the rest.

The BA10 in my 87xj 4.0L lasted around 270,000 then I started driving like a maniac forcing it to down shift when it wouldnt go in popping the clutch to peel out and dont get me started on the drifting :)

The Aisin trans isn't much better in that regard. Mine felt like moving a stick in concrete until I put redline MT-90 synthetic in it. 2nd gear was not an option on a cold winter day.

Back