• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Horn Contact in Column

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Anyone know where to buy the plastic contact thing in the column for the horn?

My horn hasn't worked for over 2 years now, I've broken 2 of them trying to install. Went to grab one at the JY today and the cheap wheel puller I was using was just bending instead of pulling the wheel... frustrating.

I'd make my own wheel puller, been thinking about it for a while. It's just a few bolts (with one turned down to a round point) some washers and a piece of bar stock.

If you can give me a pic and a model year/model year split (pre-91, 91-93, or 94-96) I can probably look up the MOPAR part number for you, then you can buy it at an exorbitant price from one of the discount mopar sites.

If this is an older model with the GM style column, I have seen them in the "HELP" rack at NAPA/Auto Zone/Carquest...etc. They can get pretty brittle over time. Bet you'll have better luck with a new one...

If this is an older model with the GM style column, I have seen them in the "HELP" rack at NAPA/Auto Zone/Carquest...etc. They can get pretty brittle over time. Bet you'll have better luck with a new one...

Saw one at Az today but it didn't have the little metal piece and the spring. Gonna hit another store tomorrow to try again.

Found the parts, picking them up at Napa tomorrow AM.

Now, can anyone tell me how the horn contact kit goes together, and which way it goes in?

John,

First screw wheel pullers. Get a universal harmonic balancer puller, that'll work on wheels too and is stronger than you'll ever need putting wheels.

It goes together the way it fits. :gag: (don't remember offhand, been a long time since I've had an XJ's wheel off)

Whoever designed this thing to become a projectile if you don't get it in just right needs to be shot.

Lost one of the new pieces on the install attempt.

That's because it's not dumbass proof John...

There's supposed to be a small latch in there that holes the contact together while working on the wheel. The nub for the latch always breaks off so the contact is unrestrained and under spring pressure, if you're careful you can manage to get it in place and slap the wheel on and have everything work out.

Said latch broke on my red Jeep's horn ring about ten years ago, I've had the wheel off three or four times since. My horn would work fine right now if I actually had a horn (the downside to ripping out inner fenders and stuff, gotta relocate the horns).

Went to napa to get another kit, they didn't have any, and none in the local warehouse.

Stopped by the Jeep dealer thinking it was a long shot, they had the pieces all for sale separate... and they had 16 of the little plastic piece in stock! I bought 2, lest I lose one again.

Horn now works for the first time in 2 years!

Back