• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

t case?

Brett J

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, so i have a 2001 xj with 96000 miles. I have had this stupid issue where when i let of the gas there is a bad noise coming from the rear. We replaced the axle and that didnt help so my friend and i were looking under the car and i started to shake it. there was a clunk noise coming from the t case right where the drive shaft goes in the slip yoke. I dont know what this could be but iam almost certain this is my issue. On this diagram could someone point out what i would have to replace?

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-transfer-case/np-231-parts.htm

Have you tried packing the slip yoke with grease?

At the local junkyard, used transfer cases are $100. With your skill level, a complete T-case swap would probably be the best solution.

Are you sure of your diagnosis ? How are the u-joints ? Is the slip yoke damaged or excessively worn ? Have you visited the local 4x4 shop and had somebody test drive your XJ ?

Last edited:
the u joints are in good shape and the slip yoke doesnt look damaged or worn. I have not had a shop look at it but my friend works at go jeep so we should be able to figure it out soon hopefully.

Are you sure of your diagnosis ? How are the u-joints ? Is the slip yoke damaged or excessively worn ? Have you visited the local 4x4 shop and had somebody test drive your XJ ?

Yup, noises are tricky. I'd suggest getting a tech. or two that knows drivelines to take a little spin with you. These guys do this stuff in their sleep and are much more in tune with noises.

And yes, slip yoke greasing should probably be job #1 They dry out. A very common problem on your vintage. I've had to grease my 99 a couple of times already.

and would the drying out really cause a noise? Im dumbfounded by this

Yup. Kind of a thump when letting off and applying throttle. Older models used t-case fluid to lubricate so they are not subject to this issue, but 97+ have a different design.

Search this forum, other forums and the web and I'm sure you'll find a writeup.

Noises are tricky and it certainly could be something else, but it seems as though greasing the slip yoke would be a good place to start. If it has never been done on your XJ, it's time anyways.

Be sure to let us know what you find!

I just feel as if i have ruled everything out.

Replaced the rear axle, Put my friends driveshaft in with good U joints so it all seems to stem to the t case and when i rock it there is a noise coming from this area

Checked the condition of the engine mounts, the transmission mount, the exhaust pipe hanger attached to the crossmember ? The bushings on the transfer case shifter lever can wear out and you can have either a rattle at idle, or banging and thumping as you drive.

Back