• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Harmonic Balancer question

Mudweiserjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1987 XJ with 4.0L engine. The harmonic balancer is bad (rubber slipping out) and needs replaced.

My question: How hard, what is involved in replacing one? Any and all advice would be great.

Thanks - Tim

I replaced one on my 88', and had to cut some of the cross hatching to get the puller on it remove the old one. When you go to install the new one I suggest heating it up, maybe even boiling it to expand the hole. I used a 2x4 to knock mine on.

Nyet! No need to knock it on.

1. Buy a longer bolt, same size and thread, just a few inches longer, and a few washers. Put grease on the washers. Use the longer bolt, in combination with the greased washers, to start the HB. Pull it in a little, remove a couple washers, pull it in a little more, remove a couple washers, repeat until you can use the original bolt to seat the HB and torque it down. If you try and use the original bolt to start the HB you run the risk of stripping the threads of the crank/bolt.

To pull the HB you should be able to get in there with a small puller, even a steering wheel puller can be made to work.

We ran into a problem when replacing the one on my MJ. Every parts store we went to only carried the Dorman unit, and the hole in it is a few thousandths smaller than the original one. we couldnt get it to go on at all, and ended up taking it back and using a used OEM pulley from a parts XJ.

i rented the harmonic balancer puller from advance auto parts, and it came with the installer tool in the box. it was easy to remove and replace because i had the stock bumber off and went through the holes under the radiator. advance gave the money back for the puller/installer when i returned it.

Back