• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Annoying intermentent start problem

hpaull

NAXJA Forum User
I know this is my first post over here, but having a very frustrating problem. I searched and can't seem to find anything similar

So here is the problem:

I have a 95 xj 2 door that was when i bought it 2wd. As of a few weeks ago did a 4wd conversion with 2.5 ome plus a little extra so i could fit the 33x10.5 under it. After doing this no problems what so ever with starting. The donor jeep was a 96 if that matters.

Then we get our first wave of bitter cold weather here in CO. I go to start the Jeep and nothing. All the electrical works but nothing coming from the starter no click or anything. Go back out a few days later ( it has warmed up some since) and it starts right up...weird I think to myself. Then gets cold again and nothing again and this time permanent.

Call a tow truck a few days later to take it to the shop and the ignition switch was bad so they replace it. I go to pick it up (bitterly cold) and starts right up.

Well today, 2 days after picking it up have not driven it since picking it up, same symptoms no start whatsoever. So i check the battery and connects and saw the battery was pretty old so I get a replacement thinking maybe it was toast. Got the old batter tested and it was on its last leg anyway. At this point I am thinking great just a battery problem. Put the new one it makes like half a crank from the starter then nothing. Try again and nothing same symptoms as before.

Call for a tow truck to take it back to the shop so they can look over the work and maybe it was something else. Tow truck comes in and lo and behold it starts right up.

At this point I am completely baffled. The shop called and they said they cannot replicate the symptoms. So I tell them to keep it over the weekend and see if it happens again. As of right now this is where the Jeep stands.

I have no clue what it could be. They checked out the NSS and said it looked good. Checked the starter and it tested fine. They said the connections and wires looked ok as well.

If anyone has any ideas I would love the help

Thanks!!!

I have a 99' and last winter had similar problems, start just fine one day, first really cold night hit and it would crank super slow, let sit then it would fire up, then stop at the gas station and wouldnt do anything at all. tapped on the starter fired up after a few attempts. Kinda intermittent on the problem also. Typically I hate throwing money out there trying to fix things but on this situation I went out and bought a new starter and havent had any issues since.

A few "quick and dirty" things you can try to try to isolate this a little more......

#1. Go under the hood to the power distribution center. Inside are a number of square black relays. They should be the same part number. Swap the one for the starter motor with another one; let's say radiator fan...doesn't really matter which one you swap with. If this takes care of your problem, the original relay for the starter is bad and should be replaced. You wouldn't want to leave it in it's new location or it will eventually cause troubles there too.

#2. WHEN the vehicle does not crank, get a multimeter and get under your vehicle. Check for voltage directly at the starter itself with the key in the ON position. You should have approximately full battery voltage at the starter. If you do have sufficient voltage, you may have a problem with the starter. If you do not have juice there, you need to start tracing your way back into the engine bay to find out why.

#3. You have an "intermittent" problem (the worst kind) so take nothing for granted. Try wiggling the shift lever while you turn the key or try starting with the transmission in neutral. If either of these techniques work, then the problem is with the neutral safety switch.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

Last edited:
I've got a 98 and its being doing the same in the fall season (i live in quebec)It will start and if i shut it off within 5 min it won't start. It come from the neutral safety swich. just put it in neutral or wiggle the lever around neutral and it should start. seem allright in the winter when it freeze.

All thanks for the help. Im glad that everyone is all coming to the same conclusions.

The starter relay was replaced when the new ignition switch was put in. Also The starter tests fine with the key in the on position. As for the NSS i tried the wiggling the shifter and starting in neutral when i had the prolem and it didn't do anything. Also had the shop check it out and they said it looked good.

At this point ill wait to see what the shop says on Monday, and then try some more of my own diagonsitcs. It may just be bad connections so i may just buy new ground and power cables since they are cheap

I always hate cutting it close to the wire like this, I am going to be driving home on Wednesday after finals and still need to put in my new lower arms, steering box brace, fenders, and bumper. Then get an alignment. Plus since im driving 800 miles home this starting thing has me a little worried.

Also does anyone have any recommended alignemnt shops in the COS DEN area. I have about a 3in lift with adj lowers, adj trackbar (iro double shear), and 33x10.5

what exactly did the shop do when they 'checked out' the NSS? im just asking because i wouldnt rule it out quite yet. when i had intermitent no start because of my NSS, any toying with it and putting it in neutral and such didnt help. after pulling the NSS off and properly cleaning the inside did it completely resolve my problem

if you have the problem again, try this:
make sure the jeep is in PARK and put the key to the running position (electric on)
go under the jeep with a screw driver and use it to bridge the two larger connectors of the starter
that should 'jump' the starter and start the jeep IF its because of an NSS problem

hope this helps

When I talked to them on Saturday they said there were no codes in regards to the transmission. I will have them look at it more thoroughly on Monday. Espically since all my online research has been pointing that way. Ill give an update on Monday, and get some pics of the Jeep up too, hopefully a little before and after.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Turns out the NSS was shot. They got the no start again this morning, ran it for codes and got a couple transmission fault codes. Looks like the xj will be good to go for awhile now (knock on wood). Now i can finally get all the other stuff on too so im pretty excited. I now know the meaning of just empty every pocket.

When I cleaned my NSS, I bent the contact springs so they would have more force applied during wiping of the contacts. It worked great. I found that one of the contacts was "lower" than the rest so that when the spring moved, it would make contact with all but the "lower" one.

Of course all the dried up grease didn't help either!

Back