• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Driveshaft Squeak

there are no balljoints in the driveshaft.
you've got a cv style joint at the upper side attached to the t-case and a regular u-joint at the bottom on the axle yoke.
which one appears to be squeaking?

What year. most do have a ball type joint at the t-case called a Cardin join not sure about the spellingt.
It must be greased with a grease point adapter, most auto supply stores can fix you up with one.

Looks like this.

L2120.jpg

Last edited:
I had a 94, and when the squeak showed up, I had to replace. I did not know about the greasable zerks on the ball joint, that would be great if it works. However, if you dont get rid of the squeak, replace the ball joint before you have failure! One of mine failed while driving and it wasnt pretty.

just rebuilt my '98 fds, no oem zerks, new one as pictured in stu's great writ-up did, requires tool langer displays, but I *think* fds still has to be disconnected at one end to flex cv joint enough to access 'em.

please correct me if i'm wrong :callme: congressman ha-ha-ha

local driveshaft shop had greasable spicer unit - the one in stu's write-up - for about $50 and change.

don't know what a junkie would charge for the fds...

I had the same solution as muddy XJ I had mine taken to a driveshaft shop and he put all new spicer u-joints and the piece that he got from rockforddriveline problem solved. The driveshaft guy recomended no spending the extra money on the greaseable ones cause they are a pita to get to anyway

look at the spring and "tube" the spring lives in, in the stub yoke; my ds guy is honest as me, and if they're pretty, they're good... save yer coin...

Back