• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help. Crank but no start. Gotta get to work.

kujito

NAXJA Forum User
89, 4.0, aw4

Trying to leave for work and the damn heep won't start. It cranks fine, but just won't fire up. When I turn the key to on, I hear the fuel pump prime.

It's only about 5* outside, but I've not had an issue with cold starts lately. It's been below zero lately with no issues.

Any ideas?

Do you have spark, a hot blue spark?

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge?

If you have ethanol in your fuel you can expect cold weather issues.

Just stole the wife's car to get to work.

@ joe_peters:
Didn't have another set of eyes to check for spark.
Don't have fuel press. gauge.
Ya, we get 10% ethanol blend year round. Started the other morning @ -10* temp; several times at below zero this past week.
Not NSS; crank, no start in P or N.

@ UltimageG:
Thanks for the link. I'll read thru it.

Yup, with a no-start.....the strategy is always the same.

Fuel + strong spark + compression = Engine start

What part or parts of this equation are you missing? Once you know this, the suspect list gets considerably shorter.

Test your way to a solution.....

Severe cold engine really loads the starter causing it to pull more current while the battery is weak from the cold. So the battery volts drop off and that bonks the electronics.

-Get the battery FULLY charged and try again.

-Warm battery overnite inside and on charger, or run battery warmer and block heater if extremely cold. Even a few degrees makes a difference.

Severe cold engine really loads the starter causing it to pull more current while the battery is weak from the cold. So the battery volts drop off and that bonks the electronics.

-Get the battery FULLY charged and try again.

-Warm battery overnite inside and on charger, or run battery warmer and block heater if extremely cold. Even a few degrees makes a difference.

Yes. If the volts fall to less than 9v while cranking you are in trouble.

If you find you have spark and fuel and still won't start, resort to checking your compression. I see you have an '89, so it might be kind of worn out. A few years ago, I was trouble shooting a car that seemed to run OK until it was parked for the night, but just would't start on one cold winter morning. Tried everything. Finally checked compression. Fiero just wouldn't run at all with 105PSI. A poor man's hone and re-ring got it back on the road for a few more years.

Back