• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please answer for a bet.

DoctorPhate

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and know the answer, this is more for a friend who is a mechanic who doesn't believe me.

Have you ever seen a drive shaft on an XJ break or twist from regular use(on or offroad) that WASN'T caused by the drive shaft falling out of the t-case because of a lack of an SYE?

Please don't include damage caused by dropping the vehicle on a rock. we are talking about pedal to the floor through mud or other obstacles like rocks

We will say maximum 33inch tires.

And what is the MOST likely to go first, the drive shaft or a Dana 35 rear end.

Thanks guys lol. I know its annoying to answer something thats been answered before.

from my experience, the pinion yoke on the turdy five will break first. but no, aside from the driveshaft whackin the ground after the yoke breaks, i've never had a problem from the shaft, stock or otherwise. nor have i had a problem with the 35, aside from the pinion yoke breakin, which i think was from axle wrap, caused by a janky add-a-leaf.

i beat the everloving crapout of my stroker motor and stock for years and never had a drive shaft problem.

from my experience, the pinion yoke on the turdy five will break first. but no, aside from the driveshaft whackin the ground after the yoke breaks, i've never had a problem from the shaft, stock or otherwise. nor have i had a problem with the 35, aside from the pinion yoke breakin, which i think was from axle wrap, caused by a janky add-a-leaf.

i too have this yoke problem with my 35

I think a few more foot pounds of torque are required to twist a driveline. I have seen it in my buddys gto at the track but that was with slicks and 550 ft lbs torque.

I ran a D35 forever with 33's. I've never once worried about my shaft. The thing that finally gave on my D35 was the spiders.... And a few teeth off the ring gear. I have a friend who has a locked D44 on 35's and it was the yoke that broke for him. Between the yoke giving out and the drive shaft twisting or breaking i'd put my money on the yoke every time.

Never seen an XJ driveshaft twist. I did have my slip yoke snap due to me driving on a destroyed Ujoint for altogether too long. But I have abused mine in almost every way possible and never broke it from torque.

Back