• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Glasspack for more clearance.. sound like crap?

stephenspann27

NAXJA Forum User
My muffler which... was probably a year old is destroyed form being drug high center. I was thinking about running a glass pack for more clearance. I am running a cat.. so that alone cuts down on noise. How annoying are XJ's with glasspacks?

I see there are quite a few videos on youtube.. sounds pretty loud.. I don't mind it being loud under acceleration.. but I want quiet idle.. and quiet hwy speed..

Last edited:
I think they sound bad. Almost sound like a racecar or something and not in a good way. I have a turbo glasspack. Its some no name muffler that my muffler shop had. It sounds very good. Actually the best i have heard on a 4.0 besides flowmasters. Has a great rumble at idle and you can hear it when you get on it. But you cant really hear it cursing.

I used a $16 universal Turbo style muffler from Vatozone and it's O.K. The sound is not too loud and it's not real thick so it tucks up farther than other designs.

I've run are "Raptor Turbo muffler" from O'reilly on another vehicle.. they are like $22.. not great sound.. but you get what you pay for. They are made by Holley.

http://www.holley.com/50054FLT.asp

I actually used JB weld on the huge crack that I had that spanned the bottom of the muffler. It actually held up on the way to work, but it sounds like there is probably a crack across the top of the muffler also.

I had a glass pack on my jeep for a while that i picked up from schucks or o'reilly's depending on where you live. me and a few other guys around here thought it sounded great. Loud but in a good way. i had to switch to a flow master cause a forest ranger threatened me a 400 Dollar ticket on the trail! glass packs do not have any spark arresting capabilities...

Scratch that on the JB weld holding up.. I'm making an effort to fix the current muffler because the converter/down pipe bolts are rusted and rounded off.. and I don't want to replace the muffler with it still on the jeep. Anyways.. My last ditch effort is going to be to cut out a sheet of metal off an old muffler, coat it with JB weld, then place it over the crack, then pop revit the sheet... however.. I know pop rivets don't take vibration well.. especially not in thin metal.. may be a waste of time.

I personally don't like the sound of a glasspack on the xj...reminds me too much of a tractor. If you are worried about messing up the next muffler go with the Super 44, the thing is plated and beefy as hell. I have heard stories of people landing on them and using them as skids.

mine drones a lot on the highway but i just welded it off the input and there is no turn down or tailpipe, so if you ran a full tail pipe i'm sure it would be a lot nicer. and if you plan on running it for a while you should think about a spark arrestor. but they're so expensive that it'd be worth getting a chambered muffler

I also like that flowmasters are thick enough to weld. My brother had one of the internal luvers in his flow master come loose and it was rattling. My dad cut a window in the muffler, pulled the piece out, then welded it back up. The muffler is about 10 yrs old now

Look at the cherry bomb turbo!!! I needed something cheap when I took my old 95 through inspection. It sounded really good and had decent clearance. Better than buying a glasspack!!

I got some dynomax superturbo or something muffler from advance auto it a straight thru muffler like A glasspack but as thick as a flowmaster. Thing is heavy but has decent sound. Not too loud. Cost about $80. I think the banks mufflers still have the best sound of any 4.0 I've ever heard

Depends on the year. My 90MJ with a 4.0 and cat was pretty loud with a glasspack. Nothing to get me pulled over but loud. My 99XJ I run with no muffler at all and left the cat its quieter than my MJ.

Really, I have an open mind when it comes to some things but a Glasspack on an XJ is just too loud and obnoxious, I have ran a lot of trails in my old jeep with barely any lift and 235's and never once got a dent in my muffler. Of course it could have just been luck but I think a properly routed exhaust would suffice rather than a loud annoying ass Glasspack.

I put a glass pack on my 89 and it wasnt too loud. I liked the sound. My girlfriend told me it sounded like a UPS truck. I know she was jealous and wanted the same thing on her wrangler but she just couldnt bring herself to ask me to do it for her. LOL!

I had a glass pack w/cat on my 2K for a while and hated it. I went as far as to put one of the Monza resonator tips on to quiet it down (which it did significantly) but it still sounded like crap. Had a weird drone at 50+ and with a heavy foot like mine it was always loud. The only cool thing about it was popping it would do if you abruptly let off the throttle when it was wide open. Check the dynomax universal, they have a slim profile, comparable to a cherry bomb (height-diameter) and sound good.

I put a glass pack on my 89 and it wasnt too loud. I liked the sound. My girlfriend told me it sounded like a UPS truck. I know she was jealous and wanted the same thing on her wrangler but she just couldnt bring herself to ask me to do it for her. LOL!

Your GF has a good ear. I could be wrong, but I've read that many of the older UPS truck run ford 4.9ltr inline 6's. So.. she knows what an inline six sounds like :)

As far as my current muffler. I cut out a piece from an old muffler, and coated one side with JB weld and stuck it to the bottom of my muffler. Then I ran 12 sheet metal screws into it. I cranked it up and it definatley sounds better, I could feel a little exhaust getting out between the sheetmetal and the actual muffer. Also there seems to be a piece loose inside the muffler that vibrates at idle, so that's annoying.

Next, I took "Muffler Cast Repair" which looks exactly like the stuff Dr.'s use to make a cast. You coat it in some white "activator" and wrap it around the muffler. It took some skill and patience. I'm waiting on that to dry right now. I'll report back how well it holds up...
http://automotive.hardwarestore.com.../victor-exhaust-system-repair-kit-130278.aspx

so the muffler cast repair.. ehh.. it does add structural integrity to the muffler but it really doesn't seal well. The instructions say to let it set up an hour then run the engine at idle for 10 minutes to cure it. The problem is that where your exhaust is leaking, it will cuase the cast wrap not to cure, and it will even tear. I think it would have worked a lot better if I had used a heat gun on it to cure.

Back