• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seized alternator, need new one ASAP for Renix

SonicCougar99

NAXJA Forum User
So my alternator seized up and ripped my serpentine belt all up, and now I need a new one. I have an 89 Cherokee Limited, so I'm believing I have the 100amp Delco unit. Is there anything that I can get from a junkyard and bolt right in and upgrade at the same time? I have a major winter storm coming in tomorrow and need something ASAP, and also need something cheap. I just moved into my own apartment on the 1st and can't afford a new alt right now.

I have seen some threads about getting it rebuilt and upgraded that way, but if it's seized up, will that still work? Or do I need an all-new (or non-seized I should say) alternator? I've searched and found that the CS130 is a very common alternator in GM vehicles, I just couldn't find anything about what will match the bolt position in my XJ (if anything)

YOu can get probably get a replacement from any local auto parts store for 100$ or less.

That's the problem, I don't exactly have $100 right now. I'm hoping to find something out of a junkyard for 20 or 30 bucks or so and just get me by until the spring when I will have more money to get a good alt.

Another Renix will have one.

Other option: RockAuto has both commutator and drive end bearing packs for less than $6 (commutator end) and less than $13 (drive end), new rectifiers for $20 or so, and new brushes and brush holders for less than $15 each. Unless the field coil or generator coil suffered badly when it seized up, or the bearing surfaces are badly worn/destroyed, you can probably rebuild it for $40-50.

Unfortunately I don't think you'll be able to bolt-in an alternator off another vehicle. The Cherokee, Comanche, and Wagoneer seem to be the only vehicles that can use that alternator, though you could obviously modify the engine electrical system to use something like a Toyota alternator if you wanted to change out the mounting bracket system and possibly swap the drive pulley as well as doing custom electrical work.

Delco-Remy CS-130, used on damn near everything GM.

Some of the cases are "clocked" differently, take yours with you to match it up at the salvage yard.

Back