• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear swap question

XJ=Fun

NAXJA Forum User
I have a question about my axles. Basically i have a 98 jeep cherokee and i bought a dana 30 off of an 87 jeep cherokee, it is disconnect style and has 4:56 gears. After replacing my axle i realized that the disconnect style axle had some minor issues. So im wondering if i could pull the ring and pinion out of the 87 axle and put them into the 98 axle, and what kind of install kit i would need (links would help). If you guys need any additional info please let me know.

Should be able to swap gears and carrier to the other diff as long as they are both Hi pinions...... cant swap a hi set to low and vice versa.
If the problem is with the disconnect itself you can swap it to a one piece axle shaft on that side and eliminate the disconnect.

It can be done,but setting up used gears can be a PITA and never work right!If you do try it,make sure and check the backlash and pull apattern before you disassemble the diff.

Should be able to swap gears and carrier to the other diff as long as they are both Hi pinions...... cant swap a hi set to low and vice versa.
If the problem is with the disconnect itself you can swap it to a one piece axle shaft on that side and eliminate the disconnect.

yeah so what is the issue with the older 30? if it is just a disconnect issue, you can eliminate it pretty easily and not have to swap gears.

yeah so what is the issue with the older 30? if it is just a disconnect issue, you can eliminate it pretty easily and not have to swap gears.

I agree.. Can n't you just put the non disconnect shaft in a disconnect axle and put a cover back on where the access hole was for the collar?

Its kind of a long story, basically the disconnect style axle that i have has otk steering that the previous owner setup, but never relocated the track bar bracket, so now my trackbar doesnt work because it binds with the tie rod really bad, the crappy part is that it is cast iron on the part where the over the axle bracket would weld on to, i dont have a cast iron welder and dont have the tools/know how on how to fab a bracket. I already replaced the axle shafts with the ones out of my 98, so their is no more disconnect.

Its kind of a long story, basically the disconnect style axle that i have has otk steering that the previous owner setup, but never relocated the track bar bracket, so now my trackbar doesnt work because it binds with the tie rod really bad, the crappy part is that it is cast iron on the part where the over the axle bracket would weld on to, i dont have a cast iron welder and dont have the tools/know how on how to fab a bracket. I already replaced the axle shafts with the ones out of my 98, so their is no more disconnect.
I could be wrong but I think the disconnect housing is cast steel and therefore will be no problem to weld to.

1. Im going to research the knuckle idea for sure, but for whatever reason i thought that their was alot of pita to change those over? Any info helps

2. JeeperJohn if this is correct it would be REALLY good news for a change, someone please comment on this

I could be wrong but I think the disconnect housing is cast steel and therefore will be no problem to weld to.

correct. the otk trac bar bracket would need some trimming, but should work. done it.

by knuckles i ment spindles, got alittle confused. pull the axles and hubs/bearings assy,disconect steering,losen ball joint nuts, seperate spindles from knuckles and swap.(in a nutshell of course). good luck in your search for a solution

Back