• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trying to replace wiper arms 1988 XJ

max419

NAXJA Forum User
I have the crappy kind of arm that i cant even figure out how to replace the whole wiper blade. i got the off the arm no problem but want to replace the arms with a J hook style. any ideas, ive searched around but cant seem to find a replacement arm. and dont know exactly what will fit.
thank you very much, coming into bad weather and want this dealt with
James

Last edited:
Have you gotten the arms off? There should be a little tab on the shaft end, poking up from behind. Lift the blade off the windshield, lift the tab, and it should hold the arm up. Now, just wiggle it and pull it up off the shaft. They can be replaced with arms from most '96 Classics, and any '97+. The newer style arms are curved, and allow the blade to be parallel to the windshield base when parked. And, they'll be ten years newer!

My 96 has the "pin "style attachment. The wife,s 98 has the "J-Hook" style---
So im gonna say get arms for 98 + years.

Can you lift the J-hook style off the windshield? I have the pin style and they only come up an inch or two.

It would be nice to have them where they go all the way up when it is snowing out.

The only way I've found of doing so involves a large pair of pliers and they don't really flip back down after... Hope someone else chimes in with some useful info!

No, they're both the same at the shaft end. If you'd like them lifted off the glass, pull the arm away, and lift the little tab, it lifts about a quarter inch, and it will hold the blade off the glass. Be careful not to pull the arm off the shaft.

I will look for that tab. Thanks for the heads up.

Back