• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking from front end while turning in reverse

MichiganXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a clunking sound coming from my front end. It seems to be coming from the driver side. It normally only happens when I'm backing up at low speed with the wheel almost at full lock in either direction (basically when I'm pulling out of a parking spot).

It did happen once when I made a quick left turn into a driveway at about 20mph (I almost missed the driveway so I made the turn much quicker than I normally would have).

Both of my front axle u-joints are good, balljoints are good, hubs are good, tracbar is new.

In light of the fact that it only "clunks" under such specific circumstances, what could be causing this?

I read a thread where the poster had a clunking caused by a broken steering box spacer, so I have a C-Rok inner plate waiting to install. What else could cause this? Sway bar end links?

Thanks.:)

Last edited:
Definitely go with your gut on checking sway bar links, they can cause similar behavior - replaced em when one of mine broke, I heard an extra loud clunk on a corner and saw something rusty rolling away from my XJ and went :scared:

Other things to check - X3 on CA bushings, also while you're at it make sure the LCA brackets aren't breaking off your axle tube, that's what caused another of my clunk noises. Check your shock absorber bushings too if you also get the clunk going over bumps at any time, or hell, just check em while you're under there because it takes an extra 30 seconds.

Don't forget to check for rubbing spots on the LCA--if the steering stops aren't adjusted correctly your tires can make contact.

Tighten the crap out of the track bar mount on the driver side framerail. This was such a common customer complaint/problem when the Jeeps were new that we started tightening those bolts while the Jeeps were on the lift during Predelivery Inspection at the dealership.

When I installed the new track bar, I tightened the bolt as much as I could. I got the same clunk when I backed out of the garage to test drive it, so I don't think the track bar is the problem.

I appreciate all of the input. I think I'm going to replace the control arm bushings and see if that helps. They're probably cooked anyways at 151,000 miles.

I know you say the track-bar is good, but I had the exact same problem on my XJ last year. The track-bar ball stud was bent. I was sure it was not it but when I replaced it the noise went away. On further inspection of the ball end stud joint to the frame I could see it was bent.

The factory Service manual states to Tighten the retaining bolt at the axle shaft
tube bracket to 54 N·m (40 ft. lbs.). Then Tighten the ball stud nut to 81 N·m (60 ft. lbs.)

I suppose that could be it, but it seems unlikely. The clunking was present before touching the track bar. I replaced the entire bar with a Moog part, and torqued everything to factory spec (although 40ft. lbs. for the axle mount seems low). The clunking was still present with absolutely no change.

I will inspect the frame end of the bar and the mount when i get under the Jeep tomorrow, though.

Don't forget to take a look at the front shocks, top and bottom but especially the top--they work loose.

Back